This easy side dish of oven roasted potatoes and asparagus is made all on one baking sheet with garlic balsamic seasoning. Perfect for weeknight meals or even holiday feasts!
Who’s a fan of simple side dishes?
I’m over here raising my hand up high and assuming you are too.
Sometimes, like in those recipes, I make the entire meal on a baking sheet. Other times, like with these roasted potatoes and asparagus, it’s just the side dish.
And you know what? Just the side dish is just as helpful and convenient as the entire meal when it’s made on one pan!
This roasted potato recipe with asparagus embodies simplicity.
And I don’t know anyone who isn’t down with that when it comes to getting dinner on the table!
INGREDIENTS FOR ROASTED POTATOES & ASPARAGUS
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this incredibly easy side dish:
- small red-skinned potatoes
- avocado oil (or other high heat oil of choice)
- balsamic vinegar
- garlic powder
- salt & pepper
That’s it! 5 ingredients (if we don’t count salt & pepper) is all that stands between you and your dinner side dish.
You can use any baby potatoes you like whether it’s this red-skinned type, baby yellow or the tri-color mix you sometimes see in bags.
Make sure to take a look at the note in the recipe below about the thickness of your asparagus.
Thickness can vary greatly between the thick spears (like shown here) or the delicate thin asparagus. This will obviously impact the roasting time once the asparagus are in the oven.
Buy whichever you want just make note of cooking time variations based on type.
Read more about asparagus in this guide to asparagus as part of my spring produce series!
HOW TO MAKE OVEN ROASTED POTATOES AND ASPARAGUS
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Toss the halved baby potatoes with 2 tablespoons of the oil and half of the balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
Spread the potatoes out onto a baking sheet that’s been greased lightly with cooking spray in an even layer.
Roast the potatoes for about 20 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
While the potatoes roast, add the asparagus pieces to the same bowl and toss with the remaining oil, vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper to coat.
Remove the potatoes after 20 minutes and add the asparagus to the sheet pan.
Return the pan to the oven to roast for another 10 minutes (see note in recipe card about timing variations for asparagus thickness) until asparagus are crisp tender.
Transfer the roasted potatoes and asparagus to a serving bowl or platter and enjoy warm!
Garlic powder is a classic, reliable, unfailing seasoning and I absolutely love it combined with the balsamic vinegar.
If you think “those roasted potatoes look a little burnt to me!”, I assure you they’re not.
That golden caramelization is from the balsamic vinegar doing its thing as the potatoes roast.
The savory flavor of the garlic with the tangy yet sweet balsamic vinegar in each bite of potato and asparagus makes it a side dish with depth.
And yet somehow, with just 5 simple ingredients.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH ROASTED POTATOES & ASPARAGUS
Now that you have the perfect side dish, the question becomes what to serve it with?!
While this recipe has a bit of a spring vibe (the true season for asparagus), asparagus can easily be found year-round making this an all-season recipe.
Even simpler, the perfect skillet pork chop.
WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVERS
If you happen to have leftovers, you can easily transform this recipe into a simple lunch.
Some options to add to the roasted potatoes and asparagus to round out the meal:
- a hardboiled/soft-boiled egg (or two!) – for a similar vibe as this spring nicoise salad
- white beans
- cooked lentils
- canned tuna/salmon/sardines
- any leftover ground meat on hand
MORE EASY SIDE DISHES LIKE THIS:
- 1 1/2 pounds small red-skinned potatoes, halved
- 1 pound asparagus spears, ends trimmed and cut into 2" lengths
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss halved potatoes with 2 tablespoons of the avocado oil, and half the balsamic, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Spread the potatoes out onto the baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, add asparagus and remaining oil, vinegar and seasonings to the same bowl and toss to combine.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, add the asparagus to the sheet pan with the potatoes and return to the oven to roast an additional 10 minutes. (*see note)
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a bowl or platter and serve hot.
*Roasting time for asparagus will vary based on thickness. If asparagus is thicker, 10-12 minutes should suffice. If you buy the very thin asparagus spears, check on them after 5-7 minutes. They should be crisp tender for serving.
As an Amazon Associate affiliate member, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 558mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.