This French toast smoothie is a healthy, high protein packed drink that tastes just like the decadent buttery cinnamon breakfast you love.
When I think of breakfast comfort foods this is the order in which my mind works:
- pancakes. Current obsession –> kodiak cakes (amazing mix that you just add water to!)
- creamy delicious oats (like this triple chocolate steel cut oatmeal or this slow cooker chocolate cherry steel cut oatmeal) steel cut or regular, my brain doesn’t discriminate.
- French toast. Remember last year’s raspberry granola french toast…omg, so much yum.
I find it weird though that French toast is last on that list.
How and why oatmeal can surpass French toast in my brain makes no sense to me when I sit down and think about it.
Buttery, soft, cinnamon studded French toast (usually topped with whipped cream and berries) has no place being 5th in any breakfast list.
Am I right?
However, being that it’s the first full week in January and most of you probably wouldn’t appreciate me pushing a decadent French toast recipe on you while you’re in the “healthy” mindset, I’m bottling up everything we love about French toast and putting it into a protein packed healthy smoothie.
Date sweetened and filled with spices and extracts, every sip is literally like biting into a plate of warm French toast for breakfast.
The secret in this protein packed smoothie?
Cottage cheese. Yep.
I’ve been loving on cottage cheese lately being in the final few days of my diet cut before heading to Mexico this weekend, it is high protein (15g in just 1/2 a cup!), low fat and incredibly filling.
You can use it as a smoothie base just like you would yogurt or milk and the topping possibilities are seriously endless from fruits, to nuts, to seeds, to greens, herbs and sweeteners. But, sometimes you can’t go wrong with simple.
Especially when it comes in the form of French toast. This smoothie is smooth, creamy, decadent and full of cinnamon flavor. Enjoy it with some whipped cream or top it with some fresh raspberries and enjoy!
Love this French Toast Smoothie recipe?
French Toast Smoothie
- 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 1 pitted medjool date, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste, you can substitute vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum, *optional but makes it nice and thick
- 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder, *optional for added protein
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- handful ice cubes
- whipped cream for topping
- Combine all ingredients in a blender (except whipped cream) and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour in a glass, top with whipped cream and garnish with additional cinnamon.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
*This post is sponsored by Friendship Dairies. All content and opinions are my own.
Gina Matsoukas is an AP syndicated writer. She is the founder, photographer and recipe developer of Running to the Kitchen — a food website focused on providing healthy, wholesome recipes using fresh and seasonal ingredients. Her work has been featured in numerous media outlets both digital and print, including MSN, Huffington post, Buzzfeed, Women’s Health and Food Network.