These paleo sweet potato bacon biscuits are filled with aromatic rosemary.
In the past 8 days or so, I’ve eaten the following:
greasy french fries multiple days in a row, paella, apple crisp, a few too many lemonade & rum drinks, deep fried fish croquettes, mashed potatoes, sugar coated doughnuts, homemade pizza, Rita’s gelati and wonton soup to name a few.
A lot of this was obviously while I was on vacation as I’m not spending my working hours boozing it up. Although, I kinda wish I were lately but that’s another story. And while I have no issue whatsoever eating what I want (or in some cases, what was available to me) on vacation for a definitive period of time, somehow vacation morphed into the remainder of the work week when I got back and then since it was the weekend, I just kept rolling with it. Also, how can you say no when your husband walks into the house with a mango gelati as an afternoon surprise. You just don’t. Unless you’re not human.
So not surprisingly, after a week of this, I felt like crap.
A bloated, tired, craptastic mess and while I’m sure the germs from the plane were the more likely culprit, rather than a poor diet, I got sick to top it all off.
So this is me getting back on track.
Sweet potatoes, bacon and rosemary.
There’ve obviously been a few vegetables involved too but I think we all prefer things with bacon in them, no?
And yes, they’re paleo but I’ve decided to stop labeling things as such from here on out. They’re tasty and they’re made with real ingredients that are good for you, that’s what matters. If you’re into paleo, you’ll easily be able to determine that from the ingredient list anyway.
Not gonna say the fresh out of the fryer sugar coated doughnuts on vacation weren’t a delicious breakfast, but these warmed up with some butter and an egg scramble aren’t so bad either.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 slice cooked bacon, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wrap garlic cloves and sweet potato in aluminum foil (separately) and roast for 45 minutes for the garlic and about an hour for the potato (or until it’s fork tender). Alternatively, you can microwave the potato to cook it faster, but since you need to roast the garlic, you may as well roast the potato too.
- Remove from oven, let cool and then transfer 1 cup of the potato and roasted garlic to a medium bowl.
- Fry the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the bacon and let cool and pour 1 tablespoon of the remaining bacon fat into the bowl with the sweet potato.
- Add the egg, rosemary, salt & pepper and mix to combine.
- Add the coconut flour and baking powder and stir until thoroughly incorporated.
- Lastly, add the bacon and fold into the mixture.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Spoon the batter onto the baking sheet. The biscuits won’t really change shape while cooking.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges start to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Best served warm.