I’m trying not to be bitter. Really, I am. But I guarantee you it’s not working and that I’m uncomfortably sitting (from falling off a chair yesterday while doing sandbag step-ups) on a fully booked plane wishing I was still in my pajamas enjoying this with my cup of coffee on the couch for a lazy Sunday morning breakfast.
That was last Sunday. Today, I’ve been up since 4am and will probably end up pulling a 23-24 hour day because of the time change. Bright side? I get to attend a cocktail hour in the space needle which I’ve always been too cheap to pay the ridiculous amount of money they want to go to the top every time I’ve been in Seattle.
This is barely a “recipe” and more so just one delicious way to enjoy quinoa that you probably haven’t thought of. Warmed, with coconut milk and topped with a mixture of caramelized bananas, walnuts and almond butter. Extra taste points for eating it with a little spoon.
Don’t worry, the quinoa negates the butter used to caramelize the bananas. Fact.
Fair warning though, husbands have been known to eat remaining caramelized banana walnut mixture straight from the pan in the 2 minutes you turn your back (to take pictures).
Don’t make that mistake.
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa
- ½-3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 banana, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-2 tablespoons almond butter, if desired
- Combine bananas, spices, walnuts and agave in a small bowl and toss to coat.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add banana walnut mixture.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until bananas start to caramelize.
- While bananas cook, divide quinoa into two bowls and pour coconut milk on top. Warm in microwave.
- Add caramelized banana mixture to quinoa and drizzle with almond butter if using.