A layered kale and feta egg bake is perfect for quick and easy dinners.
I’m kind of at a loss of what to say about this egg bake. It’s one of those dishes so simplistic that it’s hard to fully describe the depth of flavor and taste because it just doesn’t make sense.
Does that even make sense? You feel me, I know you do.
There’s kale, lots of FEH-TA, some sauce and two eggs. So you’ve got your vegetables, your dairy, fruit (tomato sauce totally counts as fruit) and protein all in one cute little ramekin, bowl or whatever you want to bake it in.
Making it reminds me of lasagna with all it’s pretty layers.
Start with the sauce as your base,
and then layer,
layer some more,
just a littttle more,
This is my go to single lady dinner on the nights Ulysses works late. With a crusty piece of bread to soak up the runny egg and the melted feta, it’s near perfection.
Ok, add some red wine to that too.
There’s a million combinations of greens and cheese you could play around with on this. You could even add sausage if that’s your thing. Go crazy.
- 5-6 large leaves of kale, washed, trimmed and chopped
- ½ a medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons marinara sauce, divided
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta, divided
- 2 eggs
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute onions, garlic & olive oil for 3-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add kale and red pepper flakes and saute another 2-3 minutes until kale is wilted.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Spray an oven safe ramekin with cooking spray and spoon 2 tablespoons of sauce into the bottom.
- Next, add half the kale & onion mixture, then half the feta, remaining 2 tablespoons of sauce, then the remainder of the kale.
- Crack 2 eggs on the top and sprinkle remaining feta on top of that.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until eggs are fully cooked but still runny.
- Serve warm with crusty bread.
PS- I went with longer side swept bangs. It’s pretty much the definition of non-committal. ;)