This Greek pasta salad with Barilla Better for You pasta is a healthy spin on the classic side dish and filled with fresh veggies!
When it comes to the typical American BBQ/cookout/summer picnic, I honestly hate just about everything about them. Soda, pretzel and chip “appetizers”, flat as a pancake overcooked hamburgers and most of all, mayo laden pasta salads.
Mayonnaise is just gross. It’s not even about it’s health factor (or lack there of ), it’s just nastiness in a jar.
And unfortunately, we think it’s a great idea to slather it all about perfectly good potatoes and pasta, shove it in plastic containers and call it a day.
That’s just not how it should go down, people.
So as we go into the last “official” summer cookout weekend of the year, let’s do that side some justice.
Let’s fill it with chunks of fresh tomatoes & cucumbers, season it up with dill & lemon and most importantly, leave the mayo in the fridge and grab the Greek yogurt instead. And since we’re getting all healthy, I loved using one of Barilla’s Better for You pasta options in this recipe. They use whole grains to ramp up the nutrition factor and you can easily find them in one of your local Ahold Brand Stores (Stop & Shop for me).
I’m betting no one will be complaining that the deli mush container of the usual stuff is MIA.
Happy end of summer!
- ½ pound Barilla Better For You Pasta (I used farfalle)
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ⅓ cup pitted kalamata olive, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- salt & pepper to taste
- juice of ½ a lemon
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- chopped green onions
- feta crumbles
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and let cool.
- Combine cooled pasta in a large bowl with remaining ingredients and toss together until well mixed.
- Garnish the pasta with dill, green onions and/or feta cheese crumbles.
- Serve room temperature.
Connect with Barilla on Facebook