There was a time when I was in either 9th or 10th grade that I can distinctly remember watching The Food Network on tv some afternoon before my parents got home from work and seeing an episode that involved caramelized bananas. It was probably 30 Minute Meals (how I could stand Rachael Ray back then still baffles me). For the next month, I pretty much made caramelized bananas with a swig of rum (shh…my mom still doesn’t know about that part) and poured them over vanilla ice cream on a daily basis.
That phase went as quickly as it came and I honestly don’t think I’ve made caramelized bananas since.
But do you guys know how freakin’ delicious those suckers are? It’s like I wasted almost 20 years of my life without them for no good reason.
So I say we bring them back. And this time we do it with chocolate chips and a hearty quinoa and oat breakfast bake. Breakfast is already my favorite meal of the day but it seriously just got a whole lot better.
And I can promise it won’t be another 20 years before these happen again either.
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the quinoa and oats in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and maple syrup in a small bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter for the caramelized bananas.
- Once melted and the skillet is hot, add the brown sugar and mix into the butter.
- Add the bananas, sprinkle with the cinnamon and let them cook on one side until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the bananas and cook again until golden on the other side.
- Once they’ve reached a nice caramelized state, turn the heat off and set aside.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture into the bowl with the quinoa and oats and mix together.
- Add half the caramelized bananas and the chocolate chips to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish or individual baking dishes and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, top with the remaining caramelized bananas and serve warm.