Grilled peaches with brown sugar pecan crumble

These grilled peaches with brown sugar pecan crumble are the perfect simple summer dessert.

We have a serious problem in our house revolving around fruit. Ulysses likes all his stone fruits (and pears) crunchy. As in, not ripe at.all.

This makes my blood boil.

He will happily bite into a peach and it will CRUNCH it’s so under ripe.

Me? I’m a normal person and prefer my fruit sweet, juicy and soft to the touch (aka: ripe). I go to the store twice a week to restock produce, usually buying 4-5 of whatever stone fruit looks good, put them in the fruit bowl on the countertop and prepare to wait the 1-2 days for them to get to that perfect juicy, ripe state.

Grilled peaches with brown sugar crumble

Except they hardly ever make it that long because Ulysses comes along, snags the still hard as a rock fruit and devours it.

It’s seriously one of the most trying things in our marriage (right behind the whole toilet seat thing).

Grilled peaches

I feel like I need a secret hiding spot for my fruit. But that would probably just result in molding peaches and nectarines shoved behind something in a cabinet somewhere.

Grillled peaches with brown sugar pecan crumble

So this was an attempt to meet somewhere in the middle. You don’t want the peaches super ripe because then they’ll fall apart on the grill and the grilling softens them up a bit anyway. The heat brings out the sweetness though and then the brown sugar pecan (and coconut!) mixture takes it from summer fruit to summer fruit dessert.

Grilled peach crumble

I’d still like to be able to just bite into a ripe peach in my house but I’d say this is a decent solution for now.

4.0 from 2 reviews
Grilled peaches with brown sugar pecan crumble

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

A light summery dessert of grilled peaches with an easy brown sugar, pecan crumble.
Author:
Serves: 3-4
Ingredients
  • 3 peaches, (about 1 day before peak ripeness) halved and pits removed
  • ½ tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
  • 1-2 sprigs of fresh mint, sliced for garnish
Instructions
  1. Heat a grill or grill pan and grease the slats/pan with any kind of oil (I used coconut oil spray on a grill pan)
  2. Once hot, add peaches to the grill, open side down.
  3. Grill for about 5 minutes until peaches have softened a little and have nice grill marks on them.
  4. Flip, and grill on the other side.
  5. While peaches are grilling, combine the brown sugar, coconut flakes and pecans in a small bowl and mix together,
  6. Remove peaches from grill, sprinkle with the crumble mixture and top with the mint.
  7. Enjoy warm (vanilla ice cream would be a great addition!)

Comments

hahaha! We have the same problem in our house… Kinda. My brothers eat SO much fruit that I hardly ever get to it just because I don’t eat 5 apples a day. It’s ridiiiiiiiiiculous. We should get our own separate fruit bowls.

Ah! I just got goosebumps thinking about biting into underripe fruit. Eek! Although, I have been eating cherries that could probably use another day or so. I have a million peaches & apricots in my fridge right now, so this a perfect way to use them up. :D

Aaron does the same thing with unripe fruit! It drives me nuts. I know EXACTLY what you mean about the crunching. I’m always telling him “You know that’s not ripe, right? It shouldn’t be crunchy.” He doesn’t care.
    P.S. Your photos are particularly stunning in this post. :)

Valerie says

Looks yummy. I have a similar problem…but it’s one of my cats. I can’t let the peaches sit out to ripen because he will steal them. He loves peaches. He comes running into the kitchen if I am cutting an extra juicy one up. Strangest thing.

We also have the same problem but I buy his and hers fruit so we are both happy. He knows not to eat mine or he’ll get yelled at! The biggest problem for us, however, is that he always leaves the water pitcher on the counter because he likes room temp water but I like mine cold. It drives me absolutely insane.

These peaches look divine and your pictures are gorgeous!

Alison says

My mom is exactly the same! She will only eat crunchy peaches and pears. I have to take my fruit out of the fridge to separately ripen while her fruit stays crunchy inside the fridge. *sigh* But anyway, this dessert looks absolutely delightful for the summer!

Wow! I love this recipe! I never tried grilled peaches before. It looks so delicious and healthful. I can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks a lot! :-)

This looks delicious. I should give it a try except that my husband doesn’t eat fruit and also he burned down our grill. Yup. But with the heat the way it’s been maybe I can just lay them out on the grill in the sun and that’ll do the trick.