Paleo challenge: day 11

From Jan 1 – 31 I’m doing a strict paleo (Whole30) challenge with my CrossFit box. I decided to journal the month in food on here (in addition to normal posting) after getting a huge positive response on my Facebook page. I’m also going to detail the amount of sleep I got, the workout for the day and any other relevant notes. I’ll only detail drinks when it’s something other than water or tea, but note that I typically drink 80-100 ounces of water a day. I’ll link to recipes (either mine or other people’s) when applicable, but I don’t usually cook from recipes for myself so if you leave a comment asking for the recipe for something, there is none unless otherwise noted.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Notes for the day:

I was definitely craving sweet all day which is why there’s about half a jar of almond butter consumed throughout my meals. I also technically cheated with the Cacao Now bar since it has honey in the ingredients. It was half a treat though and I wouldn’t even care except for the fact it’s going to cost me a point in our competition at the gym.

Sleep:

8.5 hours

Workout:

CrossFit

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Breakfast:

1/2 paleo pumpkin waffle

1 egg + 1 link chicken sausage scramble

strawberries

almond butter

coffee with coconut cream

Lunch:

pan fried halibut

green beans with lemon & evoo

roasted parsnips & kohlrabi

Dinner:

savory sweet potato meatloaf (<—excellent)

roasted lemon broccoli

mashed cauliflower

Snacks:

paleo coconut flour cookie w/ almond butter

1/2 Cacao Now treat w/ almond butter

Comments

Christine says:

Those waffles look good, but they’re SWYPO…

Running to the Kitchen says:

Yeah, they technically are. My box is not doing a Whole30 so technically these are allowed for that and I realize I should probably say I’m doing a “modified” Whole30 because I am allowing myself to make things like pancakes/waffles/breakfast bakes. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Christine says:

Oooh, nice! I’m jealous. I’m doing the strict no sugar/no SWYPO and it sucks. I did use a little coconut flour to make a roux to go over my crockpot roast, so I suppose that’s technically SWYPO… whatever. I’m going with it.

Wow, thank you for that meatloaf recipe! I’m totally going to give it a try!

Where do you get your coconut cream? Do you make it? If so, how?

Running to the Kitchen says:

When I say that I just mean the top from the can of coconut milk. If you put a can of (full fat) coco milk in the fridge overnight, the thick stuff sticks to the top and I just use a spoonful of that (as opposed to the liquidy part).

Thanks for clarifying :)
        How much of the thick stuff is usually in a can? (approximately 1/4 of the can?)
        Then what do you do with the remaining coconut milk ? Just curious because I don’t want to waste.

Running to the Kitchen says:

I’d say about 1/2 the can becomes thick cream and half is the watery liquid. I use the “water” part in breakfast bakes as a liquid instead of milk, when I’m scrambling eggs, in black tea, etc.

That “foreverfit’ site seems interesting.

Gina, any book recommendations? I want to get something for my kobo, but something cheap i’m’ on the fence on what to get:
    - sarah wilson (“i quit sugar”)
    – new book called “The Plan” featured on Dr. Oz which makes a ton of sense and intrigues me
    – Practical paleo
    – It starts with food
    – well fed
    – the Natalia Rose book (cookbook or otherwise…not sure

I have a tiny kobo reader. I am not into complex recipes or ingredients or ones requiring skill and a ton of expensive equipment or expensive/trendy ingredients, interested in changing my binging/digestion/poor habits (but not sure about confining myself and likely feeding some orthorexic tendencies) but not sure what approach to look at, I want to read them all ha, but can’t afford them all! (might be others I ought to look at?), and also not a big grain or legume person (though maybe I OUGHT to be, I don’t know). Anyway, would love your thoughts asap, ha, thanks.

Running to the Kitchen says:

I have read and have both It Starts with Food and Well Fed and can’t recommend both enough. ISWF is such a great resource to understand some of the sciency stuff behind paleo and answers a lot of the “why” questions. Well Fed is an excellent cookbook (easy but delicious recipes) that I constantly use and that’s saying a lot b/c I seldom cook from cookbooks. I’ve heard great things about Practical Paleo but can’t attest to it since I haven’t read it.

Thanks. A lot of people toot Practical Paleo to me…I wonder if Well Fed is too complex for me ? (I like simple recipes, not intimidating and am wary of working with pork/bacon/beef since I can’t get the organic or hormone-free lots).

Would any of these even work for a mini kobo? Or a MUST in solid book form?

I’ve actually been thinking about “The Plan” (a new one out) I heard about on a news program + the info on it makes SO much sense. I have a lot of digestion issues that I really would like to solve and I wonder if that book might be what I need . I certainly need something you know? Ever follow a specific week or month long detox or cleanse?

1. [...] of bloggers doing the Whole30 right now who have some good suggestions up.  Here are a few blogs: Running to the Kitchen, Caroline Calcote and [...]