Fried plantains (aka: heaven)

These simple pan fried plantains are a great twist on your traditional side dish.
Fried plantains

This might be the simplest “recipe” (I don’t feel right even calling it that) to ever be posted. And there’s 2 reasons for that.

1. As of Wednesday night at 5:35pm, I’m one handed for 2 weeks. I got a cortisone shot with a needle that was longer than the height of my wrist jabbed around into my tendons and a brace that completely immobilizes my left hand. I’m not typically bothered by needles. I get 4 allergy shots every month and I’m one of those people that has to watch the needle go in instead of turning the other way (I don’t like the surprise of the prick) BUT…when a needle longer than the area it’s going into is jammed into me, poked around and TOUCHES THE BONE so that you can hear the scraping of the needle on bone, I just about lost my shit on the exam table. Just typing this is making me shake again thinking about it. Soooo, my left hand (more specifically my left thumb) is out of commission while that does it’s thing and hopefully heals this stubborn tendonitis I’ve got going on. Cooking and the subsequent clean up are among the many things made about 500 times more difficult with only 50% of your opposable thumbs and no one else in the house to assist you. You should see me try to shower…

Pan fried plantains

2. These are like a little slice of Latin heaven. The best plantains of my life were at a roadside Cuban shack in Miami where not a single person spoke English. I ordered for the 3 coworkers I was with who had never tried them before. We took one bite and they were so good that I decided my rusty Spanish skills needed to be dusted off in an attempt to ask them what they seasoned the plantains with. The answer was simple (which was good because that meant I could actually understand it)…salt & pepper. Ha. That’s how freakin’ good plantains are…they need no embellishment.

Crispy fried plantains

So I don’t care that I’m posting a recipe with all of 4 ingredients. It needs to be out there, you need to make it and I might just end up eating them everyday for 2 weeks since it’s about all my 1 handed self can handle right now.

Fried plantains (aka: heaven)

A simple recipe for sweet & salty fried plantains
Author:
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 2 very ripe plantains, peeled & sliced on the diagonal into ½ inch thick pieces
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or enough to coat the bottom of the pan)
  • kosher salt & pepper
Instructions
  1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until very hot.
  2. Add plantain slices to hot oil and sprinkle with a generous amount of salt & pepper.
  3. Fry for about 2 minutes until golden brown and then flip.
  4. Sprinkle with more salt & pepper and fry another 1-2 minutes until golden brown on the other side.
  5. Transfer to a paper towel to drain.
  6. Serve warm with more salt.

Comments

Holy crap girl. I hope you have a speedy recovery!! Reading the words “bone” and “scraping” made me shiver. And there’s no shame in having a recipe with 4 ingredients. The best recipes are those with 10 ingredients or less sometimes!! Hope you have a good (and restful) weekend!

Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best! Ah, I would have definitely become a bit uneasy with the size of that needles. Needles don’t bug me at all but touching the bone would be a bit overkill. Have you blogged about you allergy shots? I’d love to hear about your experience with them!

I haven’t really blogged about them. I’ve had pretty bad seasonal allergies (although when I lived in FL those went away almost completely so it’s just the pollens in the areas with flowering trees and stuff in the spring) and allergies to pretty much any animal with fur since I was a kid. Since that includes dogs and I have one, when we got her I decided to get shots again (I got them as a kid for awhile but then stopped around middle school age). They help me tremendously. It’s been a big help when coupled with zyrtec which I also take almost daily (the only one that really works for me…I’ve tried ALL the allergy meds out there). My sensitivities to dogs has greatly diminished. Cats & horses which are pretty much death to me are still bad but they’re more avoidable of an animal, especially horses! Shots were a huge decision and commitment b/c for the first year I went weekly. I also have really crappy high deductible insurance so that not only equates to a time commitment but also quite a big financial one as well. Serum costs as much as my monthly mortgage payment when it has to be ordered. After the first year, the frequency diminishes to 2 weeks, then eventually 3 and now I’m at once a month. Most people grow out of allergies as they age or say healthy diets (like paleo) greatly reduce symptoms for them. That is NOT the case with mine. My allergies were growing worse with age and my cleaned up diet in the past couple years hasn’t affected them whatsoever so shots are crucial for me to live a life without a tissue stuck up my nose constantly.

Wow, sounds like you’ve been through the ringer! Awesome that they help though. I’m pretty sure the shots in Canada are covered by healthcare now as I know they can be super ridiculous pricey. Thanks for sharing your experience with them!

My room mate in college was from Puerto Rico and her mama used to make these for us ALL THE TIME. I think that is the ONE thing I miss most about my college days…fried plantains. I’m going to have to give them a shot myself.

Alicia says

That shot is the worst! I also don’t have any problem with needles, but I wanted to punch the doctor in the face when I got mine (I also had De Quervain’s), and it still makes me shiver thinking about it. I hope the shot works for you…It unfortunately didn’t work for me. I tried rest and Meloxicam before that, but I still ended up having to have surgery. I wanted to chime in simply because I’ve been there and know how hard it is not to use your hand. That being said, do your best to rest it and don’t be stubborn like me! It’s nearly impossible to cook, isn’t it? I couldn’t even chop vegetables. Hoping you are better soon.

Alicia- thank you for sharing your experience! I’m not gonna lie and say I’m not slightly scared now that this won’t be all better in 2 weeks but at least I know the surgery worked well if it does come to that. I’m resting as best I can, but it’s so hard!

mmm girl, you just spoke to my heart. As a current Miami resident, I have been DYING to make plantains of my own, but instead have been spending $2.50 for them at my favorite Cuban restaurant (where ironically, nobody speaks English). I’m on this

I was sooo gonna fry plantains last night for dinner…though I was going to deep fry them. I decided to go the healthy route and bake them instead, also delish. I love that you sauteed these in the coconut oil so that you get the yummy caramelly fried flavor, with a lot less fat.

These plantains look like a delicious and healthy treat! I hope you feel better soon – I have a hard enough time cooking and cleaning with both my hands!

Confession… I’ve never had plantains. Eek, I feel like I should go hide. Is it weird that I’m embarrassed that I’ve never tried them? Probably because I know I should have tried them a long time ago. They look so good! I gotta get up the courage!