Brown sugar candied baby carrots

Here comes Peter Cottontail

Hopping down the bunny trail

Hippity hoppin Easter’s on it’s way….

36 hours. That’s how long that song was stuck in my head after making these.

Even as a pretty impatient person, I don’t usually consider a day and a half a long period of time. That is until I had those 3 lines ingrained in my head. If I wasn’t singing it, I was whistling it. If I wasn’t whistling it, I was humming it.

I went from thinking these were the cutest thing to ever reside in my produce drawer to wishing they’d never appeared in our CSA. Well, except for the 5 minutes that I inhaled them as my sole food item for lunch.

With my fingers.

I’m not a candy person. Chocolate? Yes. But not candy. These however, tasted like the best damn candy I’ve ever eaten. AND THEY WERE A VEGETABLE. A little brown sugar and butter will do that I guess.

I’m not sure 36 hours of children’s rhymes were worth it but it was pretty darn close.

Bringing every girl and boy

Baskets full of Easter joy…

Have fun with that one today. Just thought I’d pay it forward.

5.0 from 1 reviews
Brown Sugar Candied Baby Carrots

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

A simple caramelized baby carrot side dish. Candy in it's simplest form.
Author:
Recipe type: carrots, side dish, vegetable
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 1 bunch of baby carrots with stems
  • ½ tablespoon butter, divided
  • ½ tablespoon brown sugar
  • salt and pepper
Instructions
  1. Separate carrots from green stems and wash well.
  2. In a medium pan over medium-high heat add ¼ tablespoon of butter and a pinch of salt & pepper.
  3. Saute greens for 2 minutes until just wilted. Set aside.
  4. In same pan, add remaining butter and brown sugar.
  5. Once melted, place the carrots in a single layer in the pan and gently toss to coat with the butter and sugar mixture.
  6. Saute carrots for 2-3 minutes per side until golden and starting to caramelize.
  7. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and transfer to a plate with the wilted greens.

Comments

I’m so jealous of your fresh carrots right now! I love these little guys – they’re ten times sweeter and more crisp than the carrots you get at the grocery store…oh how awesome CSA boxes are. I’ve never tried the candying method and it looks delicious!

I normally just roast my carrots in some olive oil but this sounds like the best way ever to eat them with that hint of sweetness and all that flavour.

Holy moly! These look SO good! And thanks for the song – I’m about to go for a run and I’m sure that’s what I’ll be movin’ my feet to now!

Love this Gina! I have eaten my carrots already but the greens are still sitting in my refrigerator, waiting to be eaten. I have been thinking of ways to eat them but it never occured to me that simply sauteing them with butter, salt, and pepper is the way to go.

Yeah, I contemplated for far too long about what to do with the greens and then I tasted a bite raw and realized they were so young and tender that a simple saute would work just fine :) You could probably doctor them up more, but why complicate things, you know?

haha, wo those sound awesome. I munch on raw whole carrots all the time and this is making me realize how darn boring that is when I could have buttery sweet carrots. I love how you left the greens on too.

I feel like I tell you this every time, but seriously, your photography is stunning, Gina! I’m just learning to love carrots (aside from carrot cake, which I have no problem consuming!), and I think this recipe will definitely be making its way into my kitchen.