This corn and tomato salad is as simple as summer gets with fresh corn, tomato and basil.
You know what sounded good after a 5+ hour red eye next to 2 teenage girls that thought it was cool to pull an all-nighter, elbow me at least 15 times, keep their TV screens on so our whole row was illuminated and blab away all while the person behind me acted like they’d never seen a tray table before and proceeded to open and close it with enough force to shake my seat every time….simple. Simple is also something I thought operating a seat belt was but found out somewhere over Kansas around 4am this morning that if you’re a teenage girl in seat 18e you have no idea why the thing won’t work when you shove two buckle ends together. But, you keep trying for a good solid minute as you jam them together, making a ruckus before giving up and throwing the (identical) seat belt ends to the side smacking the person in 18f (me) on the arm. Sleep sounded pretty good too at 10am when I got home, but after a 2 hour nap to fight off delusion, simple was next.
We got an early surprise batch of CSA goodies while I was gone and apparently Ulysses had an epiphany. Well, first there was confusion.
And, sass from me. After, however, he made a pasta using the asparagus that was in the fridge with the swiss chard from the CSA delivery and when I got home he said, “you know what I like about cooking? It’s so relaxing.” And then I fell on the floor and asked what happened to my husband. Apparently, when I’m not there “bossing him around in the kitchen” (no idea what he’s talking about) he actually enjoys cooking. I can work with that. So to use the most overused word in management, I “empowered” him to make the steak last night while I made this salad. He got all “relaxed” out by the grill (without any direction from me) and I threw this together in minutes. No cooking, a handful of ingredients and herbs picked from the front steps.
- 2 ears of sweet corn, removed from cob with a knife
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced or chiffonade
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- parmesan shavings for garnish
- Combine corn, tomatoes and basil in a medium bowl.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, saute shallot with ½ tablespoon olive oil for 3-4 minutes until shallot is softened and just starting to brown.
- Transfer shallot to bowl with corn and tomatoes.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together remaining olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Pour dressing over salad, season with salt & pepper to taste and toss to combine.
- Garnish with shavings of fresh parmesan cheese and more basil if desired.
Highlights from our Napa/Sonoma trip coming this afternoon!