It’s Sunday afternoon, we’re wandering through a new local grocery store and standing smack in the middle of the meat section mesmerized by the fact that they actually have decent cuts of meat to choose from and *gasp* grass fed, organic options! I try to convince Ulysses we need a $32 organic T-bone steak the size of my head before we both get completely overwhelmed, grab a more moderately priced skirt steak instead and walk away.
Two minutes later, Ulysses says “man, I could really go for some Five Guys now. I kinda want a burger after seeing all that meat.”
It’s 2pm, I’m starving.
This is what happens after you house a cheeseburger, free peanuts, half an order of large fries and sips of your husband’s Mr. Pibb.
Raw asparagus and tomato salad or, how to get rid of your guilt trip. It goes by either name.
If you’ve never tried asparagus raw, I highly suggest you jump on that train now because there’s a pretty short window when it’s fresh and crisp enough to do that.
With lemon, olive oil and some shaved parmesan, it’s the definition of a refreshing spring dish.
Between this and a 4 mile walk (with hills!), I’m choosing to pretend like Five Guys never happened.
- 1 large bunch of asparagus, washed, ends cut off and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- parmesan cheese, shaved using a vegetable peeler for garnish
- Combine asparagus and tomatoes in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and salt & pepper.
- Pour over asparagus and tomatoes and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with parmesan and parsley.
- Serve cold.