Pear banana cinnamon smoothie

use 4 v2

Am I the only one that was surprised yesterday to realize that we turn the clocks back this weekend?

I can’t even begin to understand how the heck we’re already to the point of 5pm darkness around here. I hate this time of year. Really, I do. I get in a funk. I’m pretty sure there’s a name for that feeling.

Oh yeah, seasonal depression. I seriously think I might have it.

use 2 v2

As if that wasn’t a rude enough awakening guess what else I discovered?

3 grey hairs. In the same spot. On the right side of my head.

I’ve always secretly laughed at those people with the awkwardly placed grey patches on their head wondering why the heck they don’t do something about it. Hair dye is cheap enough, you know?

I fear I may be becoming one of them and will soon elicit weird stares of my own.

use 1 v2

What does any of this have to do with a pear banana smoothie?

Nothing.

Except that I needed something to cheer me up after those two incidents and my grilled cheese + pickle sandwich wasn’t as photogenic.

use 3 v2

Happy Saturday!

I’ll be outside enjoying the last “long” day of the year trying to build up my vitamin D stores for the winter.

Pear Banana Cinnamon

Smoothie

Yield: 1 glass

• 1/2 pear
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup ice

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.

Grey patches…weird or cool & quirky?

Does anyone else get the winter time blues? What are your coping mechanisms?

Comments

barbara says

If you live north of Georgia at this time of year, being outside all day won’t help the vit D enough….so take your supplements! ;) with a “fatty meal” for best absorption!

Yep, seasonal affective disorder. I get it when I spend winters in the uk. Permanently bloody miserable and grey it is! :/ The clocks went back last week here and I love it, only because I am naturally waking up earlier therefore I feel much more productive… downside is I fall asleep at 10:30! That and the fact that it’s dark by 6 :/

I was also shocked to learn that the time changes this weekend. I HATE that it will start getting dark at 4pm. After a month of that, I start considering going to a tanning salon to get some “sunlight”. I never do, but I get very close to caving.

In the last year, I’ve started finding random grey hairs (I’m 27). My hair stylist said that it’s totally normal and I’m choosing to believe her. haha

I get the opposite actually. I get all happy this time of year. Weird. That smoothie though- that’s gotta help, right? :)
    PS- Your pictures are marvelous!!! :)

great autumn themed smoothie! i love the pear and banana combo! i just returned to europe from travelling in Asia and just cant get into winter mode. my body is still used to humidity and high temperatures. my skin surely doesnt thank me for this sudden change of temperature!

Even though it sucks that it gets dark so soon, this morning was GLORIOUS! I had a fantastic night’s sleep and then just lounged in bed and it’s still only 8:45. Love it.

I’ve yet to find a grey hair, but i’m pretty sure, I’d just yank it out.

I sit there with tweezers in front of the mirror when I find them but then they just grow back in short spikes. Not sure which is worse!

I hear you on the winter blues. I get a really intense urge to just hibernate inside the house this time of year. I hate going outside when it is cold and dark. Like Amanda said I start to wish I could go lay in a tanning bed and soak up some warmth and light.
    Smoothie looks really yummy!

I JUST got a ton of pears and I’ve been wanting to make a smoothie with some of them. Thanks for this recipe, yay!

I totally take vitamin D over the winter… no shame in that! Helps a lot.

Oh Kat, you of all people should know how biased the internet can be ;) I can guarantee you my house is nothing like a bistro hotel! haha ;)

Monica says

I had to improvise slightly since I didn’t have almond milk or protein powder, but this is delicious! I’ve already made it twice! Thanks as always for your sharing your tasty talents!

Sounds like this winter’s going to be rough on you. But things like pear smoothies should help get you through. :) Seriously though, this drink sounds really good. You know I never thought of using a frozen banana. That’s a really great idea for chilling the drink down.

Meghan says

This is a deliciously filling smoothie! I added blueberries and a touch of OJ to sweeten it up and add even more health. :)