These red curry vegetable lentils are a delicious vegetarian dish with tons of spicy curry and creamy coconut flavor.
The past month has been a humbling experience for me. I’ve spent about 65-70% of it traveling (and far too much of that time stuck in traffic on some NY, NJ or CT highway fending off severe road rage) for either work or pleasure (I hate that word, add it to the list with moist and panties for words that make me grossly uncomfortable) and still tried to maintain daily postings on here with good recipes and somewhat related content.
I swear this isn’t some woe is me post. Nope, nope, nope, hate those. I read those and start screaming through my computer screen at the author to 1. quit justifying themselves to the internet, they don’t owe anyone an explanation and 2. either suck it up and deal with it or make a change and stop complaining. Those get me a bit riled me up.
So what’s the point then of me mentioning my busy life recently?
To basically justify this post that has absolutely nothing to do with red curry vegetable lentils. My brain and body is tired, as I write this it’s 10pm, I’ve been up since 5:45, spent 3.5 hours in the car and I just can’t think of anything interesting to say about lentils. They’re lentils, they have red curry in them as well as a healthy dose of vegetables (of course), they’re inspired by Lindsay’s delicious creation and you should make them. The end.
Want to know what my brain can handle right now?
Discussing the fact the Miley Cyrus actually thinks with even 1% of a chance that getting married at 19 to Hunger Games boy is a good idea. Really? Like, really, really? And that news sources mention how Tom Hanks’ wife tweeted her congratulations like it’s supposed to be some sign of legitimacy since it came from Rita Wilson. Holy hell.
Or how about how Billy Ray is “giving his blessing” and all that jazz. My father’s reaction would’ve been more along the lines of “like hell you’re getting married, get up to your room young lady!” What’s she going to do at the wedding, toast with apple juice?
And as Forrest would say, that’s all I have to say about that.
Red curry vegetable lentils
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 15oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained and pureed in food processor
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup swiss chard leaves, chopped
- cilantro for garnish
- In a small pot, combine lentils and water, bring to a boil and then cover and lower to a simmer, cooking for about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add yellow pepper, swiss chard stems and onions and saute for about 10 minutes until softened and just starting to brown.
- Add red curry and all the other spices and toss together, cooking for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add pureed diced tomatoes, tomato paste and coconut milk and stir to combine.
- Add lentils, stir and let cook for 10-15 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Check seasoning and adjust according to taste.
- Add swiss chard leaves, stir to combine, cook 1 more minute until wilted into curry.
- Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.
Slightly adapted from Pinch of Yum