This chocolate coconut avocado ice cream is creamy, decadent and incredibly simple to make. Full of healthy fats, it’s a great summer treat!
A few months ago as I was strolling the aisles of my favorite little Asian market that has the best variety of produce around, I noticed they had coconuts. Small little ones like you’d see under a palm tree on a Caribbean beach. Since that day, I’ve wanted to buy some but for some reason or another, I just never did.
Thanks to California Avocados for sponsoring this post.
When California Avocados asked me to create an avocado ice cream (say wha??) I knew I wanted to go the coconut milk route for a dairy free/paleo friendly treat and what better excuse to finally buy those adorable coconuts than to use as a serving bowl for some of this creamy, decadent chocolate coconut avocado ice cream?
There was just one problem, once I got them home and the ice cream was made, I starred at it on my cutting board in the kitchen saying “ok, now what?” in my head.
Attempting to take my trusty chef’s knife to a coconut seemed like it might result in the loss of a finger or two.
So I turned to Google, obviously.
Surprisingly, video after video of cracking open coconuts assured me all I needed was a rock with a sharp edge. Well guess what? I have one of those in my backyard! Finally, the random huge boulder the builder decided to place in front of the well pipe that we made a garden bed around (because what else do you do with huge random rocks in your backyard?) has a purpose in this world; a coconut-opener!
With coconuts in hand, I climbed between the hydrangea (that really needs some trimming) and the decorative grasses in the garden bed, praying the snake that likes to slither around in there wasn’t around that day to bang away at the middle of the coconut, slowly turning it as I went. I fully did not expect this work at all but much to my surprise, it was perfectly split in half in just seconds.
Unfortunately, all the delicious coconut water poured down the side of the rock in the process so I’m going to have to figure out a better way to save that next time but I was left with four of the cutest little serving bowls of real coconut; improved only by a heaping scoop of chocolate coconut avocado ice cream and topped with some toasted almonds for good measure.
Make a batch and celebrate California Avocado Month deliciously!
Love this Chocolate Coconut Avocado Ice Cream recipe?
- Flesh of 2 ripe California avocados, about 275 grams
- 14 ounces full fat coconut milk from a can (see note)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- splash rum (optional, helps texture when freezing)
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
- Combine avocados, coconut milk, cocoa powder, salt, maple syrup and rum in a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's directions until thick and frosty, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add toasted almonds 1 minute before turning off ice cream maker, just to combine.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 1-2 hours to harden.
- Remove from freezer and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving for easier scooping.
You can use half coconut milk, half heavy cream for an even creamier ice cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 164mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.