Hey there Kitchen Runners, I’m Megan from Wanna Be a Country Cleaver and I’m setting up shop here while Gina is out galavanting all over Italia! Let’s just pause for a moment and imagine wine, good food, accents, Tuscan hills and creepy Italian trees that know that you know that they know (name that movie), and Italian stallions. Ohhh, I’ll listen that that accent coming from a hot man any day…
But back to the recipe before I get into a marital spat with my new husband over the interwebs…
Do you ever get the point you just crave a salad? Some intense, cosmic pull tells you that your stomach requires a salad of such magnitude and gravity that it is sets an inescapable path towards your mouths and its destiny.
This is what that salad was for me. I’m blaming it on some funky PMS girly mood thing, trying to fight the bloat and avoid cramming the entire contents of my cupboards into my mouth like a Hoover. A salad seemed legit as a remedy against the PMS-monster long as it was topped with crunchy chicken tender-esque chicken strips coated in panko and baked and was topped, naturally – with chocolate.
No, no, no – don’t go yet. I’m getting to my point and its a good one!
Chicken Mole Salad.
There. I said it. Now the chocolate makes sense doesn’t it? Would I ever lead you astray? Don’t answer that.
Upon a bed of crunchy lettuce laid a superiorly golden chicken boob, slathered in that a dripping dark chocolate mole sauce – and a couple of quick fried tortillas. It is salad sex on a plate. Okay, fine. It was almost completely healthy. Give the PMSy girl a break.
And you need it in your life. Yesterday. Because your hormones, and I say so.
Thanks everyone for hanging out with me today. And thank you to Gina for letting me take up space on your inspiring site. This girl really knows the way to my wanna-be-a-healthy-rock-solid-girl heart.
Lovely meeting you all today and I hope to see you again soon at my blog Wanna Be A Country Cleaver! Ciao, Belladonna!
- ⅓ cup chopped Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ¼ tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1¼ Tbsp Chili Powder
- ½ tsp dried Oregano
- ⅛ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 1½ cup Chicken or Beef Broth
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ cup Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 chicken Breast, filleted into two
- ½ cup Panko, toasted
- ¼ cup Flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups Heart Romaine Lettuce, sliced
- 2 cups Spinach
- ⅓ cup Cheddar, shredded
- 4 pre-packaged corn tostadas
- In a medium sauce pan, head oil over medium heat. Add onion, cumin and cinnamon. Cover and allow onions to softened. About ten minutes or so. Stir in garlic, chili powder, oregano, cayenne, and flour. Whisk in broth and vinegar. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to allow sauce to maintain a simmer. Stir often until mixture reduces and thickens. About 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool and thicken.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- While sauce is simmering, fillet chicken breast into two. In three seperate bowls, divide the flour into one, whisked egg into another and lastly add in toasted panko crumbs. Dip each chicken fillet into flour, dredge in egg and then dip and coat with panko crumbs. Place onto lightly sprayed broiling pan. Repeat with other chicken fillet. Bake at 450 for about 10 minutes or until panko is golden brown and chicken is cooked through. Allow to cool slightly before slicing. Ready for final preparation.
- Plate two corn toastadas per plate in a stacked fashion. Top with lettuce shreds and spinach. Sprinkle on cheddar cheese. Top with sliced chicken. Pour mole sauce over the chicken and serve immediately.