There are few groceries that set off panic mode in my brain when their supply gets dangerously low, bananas (I live with a part monkey husband), milk (omg, what do I put in my 3 cups of coffee in the morning?) and eggs. So you might imagine my annoyance with the A&P on Monday when I went for these exact three things and they were out of two out of the three. OUT. Like, wiped out. How a regional grocery chain can just be OUT of milk and eggs is beyond me. It’s not like there was an impending storm or anything, just “typical Monday inventory lows” according to the poor shelf stocker I sarcastically attacked when noticing there wasn’t a gallon of milk in sight. Inventory lows? Here’s a thought, order more then.
I have just about zero planning capabilities when it comes to dinner so unless it’s been made for this site or a freelance project during the day, chances are, I haven’t given even 2 seconds of thought to dinner until about 6pm when I realize all my meat is frozen and the internal debate between annoying microwave defrosting or just eating eggs in some capacity starts.
Eggs usually win.
They’re cheap, they cook quickly and most importantly, they pack a quick protein punch.
But meatless doesn’t have to mean boring. This soba noodle dish, is packed with sweet sauteed onions and leeks and tossed in a sweet chili soy sauce. I topped the pasta with hard-boiled (although fried, poached or soft boiled would be great too!) Safest Choice Eggs. They’re pasteurized (making them worry-free for you batter-lickers out there) and a great option for your meatless meals.
Safest Choice Eggs are hosting a month long meatless meal party along with two awesome prize packs including Amex gift cards, frying pans and lots of free eggs! You can find all the meatless meal recipes here and enter for a chance to win the prize packs using the widget below the recipe.
- 6 ounces soba noodles
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced into half circles
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet thai chili sauce
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- green onions, chopped for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onions and leeks and saute for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened and starting to brown.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking time for the onions, add the soba noodles to the boiling water.
- Cook the soba noodles until al dente (about 4 minutes).
- Mix the ginger, soy sauce and sweet thai chili sauce together in a small bowl.
- Drain the soba noodles and add to the skillet with the onion and leek mixture.
- Pour the soy mixture on top and toss to coat all the noodles.
- Turn the heat off, divide the noodles into two serving bowls and top with 1 egg each.
- Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.