Five years ago, if you told me I’d be a 3 cups a morning minimum coffee drinker, I’d have laughed in your face. I was a steadfast English breakfast or earl grey tea kind of person, swearing that coffee was for addicts and nasty breathed old people with a permanent smell of smoke about them. Then one random morning for absolutely no reason, I decided to make coffee with the coffee maker we got from our wedding for the sole purpose of brewing it for guests.
5 years later: I’m not only addicted, I’m a snob about it.
I hate Dunkin Donuts coffee, Starbucks always tastes burnt to me, even their blonde roast and if it’s not a fun flavor like hazelnut, gingerbread or pumpkin spice, I want nothing to do with it.
So when we were leaving at 3am for the long drive to North Carolina a couple of summers ago and pulled into the nearby gas station before getting on the highway for some much needed caffeine and snacks, the last thing I was expecting was to actually enjoy the caramel vanilla cream Green Mountain Coffee sitting in the abandoned coffee station area. But I did and ever since this coffee snob will pick a northeast gas station cup of joe over a convenient drive through DD any day.
Keurig Green Mountain reached out to a few of us to try their new Island Coconut coffee to welcome in the warmer weather (um, welcome! please come any day now!) and I decided to go all out and make some ice cream with it. Too hopeful? Maybe, considering it’s still 37 degrees outside right now but I’m on a plane to Florida to burn my Casper-like skin off in exactly 3 days so I kinda don’t care.
This coffee literally makes your entire house smell like a tropical vacation and the best part is it actually tastes coco-nutty too. It’s not just one of those smells-amazing-but-tastes-just-like-regular-coffee kind of deals. To take things to the absolute coconut max, this ice cream is made with coconut milk, coconut sugar, coconut extract, shredded coconut and this Island Coconut coffee. Coconut to the 5th power. If this doesn’t bring on spring, I’m not sure what will.
Bonus! Keurig Green Mountain is sponsoring the giveaway below (enter using the widget below the recipe). 1 winner will receive a pretty white Keurig with coffee and 2 winners will receive the Island Coconut coffee. Giveaway ends 3/27 at 12am and is open to US only 18+.
- 2 14 ounce cans full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup strongly brewed Island Coconut Green Mountain Coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Bring all ingredients except shredded coconut to a simmer in a medium sauce pan.
- Stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn heat off and let cool completely.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, up to overnight.
- Pour the chilled mixture into your ice cream maker and churn according to ice cream maker’s directions.
- Add the shredded coconut during the last minute of churning.
- Transfer the ice cream to a container, sprinkle with a handful of shredded coconut and coffee grounds if desired and freeze for 1 hour before serving.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
*Keurig Green Mountain provided me with samples of their Island Coconut coffee, but this is not a compensated post. All content and opinions are my own. I just really like good coffee.