This five spice cream cheese chicken is your answer to boring weeknight meals!
Lately, I’ve taken on a bunch of extra recipe development work which has left me with ingredients I never typically buy in my fridge, like cream cheese and heavy cream.
There could be way more unfortunate foods to be stuck with, right?
After a week of a tablespoon of heavy cream in my coffee (omg, delicious) and a container that was still 3/4 full, I decided something needed to be done because at that rate the cream was going to expire before I came anywhere near to finishing it.
So, a chicken dinner with a bit more creamy indulgence than normal was created. If you like spice, decadent cream sauce and a fast weeknight meal (um, who doesn’t?), this is for you.
Just throw some sweet potatoes and broccoli on your plate and the cream doesn’t count. Fact.
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs (breasts or tenders would work too)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon adobo seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- Rinse and pat the chicken dry.
- Combine the salt and spices in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the seasoning onto both sides of all the chicken pieces, rubbing it into the meat.
- Place the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the chicken.
- Cook for about 3-5 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Once cooked on both sides, reduce the heat to medium-low and add the heavy cream, milk and cream cheese. Stir to combine and coat the chicken in the cream mixture.
- Let the sauce thicken for about 3 minutes.
- Plate the chicken and pour the sauce over top.
- Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.