Persimmon vanilla bean smoothie

Persimmon smoothie

Can I tell you something that annoys the hell out of me?

(You actually have no choice in the matter here, sorry.)

Excuse makers.

Oh MY god, I cannot stand when people talk about “wanting” to do something and then rattle off every excuse under the sun as to why they can’t. It just drives me mad. Woe-is-me’ers get absolutely no sympathy from me. None. Grab life by the balls, people and if you want to do something, then DO it. Please don’t talk about why you can’t. All those excuses may even be true, but you’ll get absolutely nowhere rattling them off to anyone that’ll listen and convincing yourself that that’s why you’re not succeeding at something.

I had one too many interactions with a few of “those” types over the past week including one with a person in the grocery store bitching on her cell phone to someone about how hard it was to stick to her New Year’s resolution and why she wasn’t going to be successful at it. I may have stood next to her, putting avocados into a plastic bag and given her a disgusted look. And by may, I mean I did.

She also happened to be standing over the persimmons. Which is how all this is related (although, the relevance ends there). I just felt way more compelled to talk about that instead of persimmons, vanilla beans and almond milk. The smoothie is good, no doubt, but I get much more passionate about excuse makers than smoothies in real life.

As for persimmons, I love them. When ripe, they’re one of the few fruits I can eat alone and actually consider “dessert” (warm it up with a spoonful of coconut cream and omg…). The cool thing about them is that they’re gel-like and goopy in this weird way that when you blend them into a smoothie, you get the perfect texture going on without having to add any weird congealing agents (sorry but xanthan gum is just something I can’t get behind buying both on principle & cost).

Flavored with some real vanilla beans, this smoothie tastes way more delicious than you’d think from it’s list of 5 ingredients. Persimmons can be annoying to deal with because you have to wait until they’re completely ripe (like to the point where they’re almost a pile of mush) before eating them, but they’re worth it. I promise.

Don’t let me catch you making any excuses as to why you can’t make this.

5.0 from 2 reviews

Persimmon vanilla bean smoothie

A simple 5 ingredient persimmon smoothie.
Author:
Serves: 1

Ingredients
  • 1 very ripe Hachiya (the oblong shaped one rather than the shorter round one) persimmon
  • ¼ vanilla bean
  • 2 tablespoons coconut cream from a can
  • 1 cup vanilla almond milk
  • ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
  • handful of ice cubes

Instructions
  1. Cut the top off of the persimmon and scoop the flesh out into a blender.
  2. Scrape the seeds of the ¼ vanilla bean out and into the blender.
  3. Add remaining ingredients to blender and blend until smooth.
  4. Garnish with extra cinnamon.

Comments

Janet says

I once bought a persimmon a few months back. They were sampling them at the grocery store and were on sale so i bought one. From your picture yours look a little different then mine. I should try them again. Thanks for the recipe!

There are 2 types of persimmon. the ones in the picture are actually NOT the ones I used in the smoothie. There are the short fat ones (pictured) and then the longer, oblong shaped ones which are what I used (and noted) in the recipe. I prefer the oblong ones as they get riper and sweeter in my opinion :)

Janet says

Good to know. Thanks. Do you peel yours? The woman at the store said you could eat the skin. After I did I thought that was not too smart as they were not organic. Oh well I am still kicking around :)

I love persimmons. So excited they’re in season again. btw – you know how i feel about the excuse people too ;) and how i feel about setting yourself up for failure…like saying you’re not going to succeed – is that really motivating? I think not…

Love the combination of persimmon’s and coconut, all the good one’s have disappeared from the shops, only left with the tough short fat ones…man I wish I had of made a smoothie while I had an overload of them! Delicious recipe!

Confession: I have never tried a persimmon. (pause for reaction). I guess I never really knew what they were supposed to taste like, and how to tell when it’s OK to buy them or when they’re ripe. A-HA! But in smoothie mode, I’m sure it would be hella tasty. I’m with you on the woe-is-me’ers. I used to be one of them and I’m guilty of reverting to that from time-to-time, but then I realize I’m being an ass and snap out of it ;)

I read a persimmon oatmeal cookie from happyolks and decided to make it. I was in heaven after I nibbled on a fresh persimmon as I have never had it before. It was still firm but it was already good! I still have two left and will make sure to let one turn almost to mush to see the difference. The other one might go in a smoothie! Uh, definitely no to xanthan over here too!

Yup, no excuses as to why I can’t make this! Love persimmons too. And I agree with you–they’re one of the few fruits I consider dessert. Never thought to heat it up, will try that too.

Gahhhh I HATE those people too!! They make me want to get all obnoxious and start asking them “But, why? Like give me a really good excuse WHY can you not do x, y or z??” and “Ok, so that approach doesn’t work, how about you try something different BEFORE YOU JUST GIVE UP!” Lol! Frustrates the crap out of me! I understand that some days are a bust and no one is perfect but a defeatist attitude really gets my goat! Luke is pretty much one of those people although he would call it realism! Def butted heads a few times on that front! Ooosh, thanks for letting me rant! Haha! Smoothie looks DELISH! Lol!

Jodie says

I tried a persimmon for the very first time last year and liked it. The next one I bought – not so much. It had a waxy after taste to it that I couldn’t stand. Perhaps it wasn’t ripe enough yet? IDK. I also tried fresh figs two years ago and fell in love. I’m really enjoying your blog and reading about your Paleo challenge. You make me laugh. I love how honest you are.

Heh, I feel the exact same way about people who do nothing but make excuses. Drives me crazy!

And on that note, I have absolutely no excuse NOT to make this smoothie, since I just happen to have all the ingredients on hand! Well, most of them anyways. Do you think the smoothie will suffer too much without the coconut cream? I don’t have any, but I’m thinking it’ll still be fine… :)

probably not, you just won’t have the hint of coconut that it gives taste-wise. Shouldn’t’ affect texture too much.

I have never eaten persimmons before, but have absolutely no excuse now that I am seeing them all over the farmers markets here! This looks like a perfect and easy recipe to try…pinning it now :)

Do you think it would work well using regular milk instead of almond?