Paleo challenge: day 3

From Jan 1 – 31 I’m doing a strict paleo (Whole30) challenge with my CrossFit box. I decided to journal the month in food on here (in addition to normal posting) after getting a huge positive response on my Facebook page. I’m also going to detail the amount of sleep I got, the workout for the day and any other relevant notes. I’ll only detail drinks when it’s something other than water or tea, but note that I typically drink 80-100 ounces of water a day. I’ll link to recipes (either mine or other people’s) when applicable, but I don’t usually cook from recipes for myself so if you leave a comment asking for the recipe for something, there is none unless otherwise noted.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Notes for the day:

It felt good to workout for the first time in over a week! Also weighed in and did body fat measurements for the challenge at CrossFit. I had this done in July at a work sponsored event and didn’t believe it for a minute when I was told it was 28%. Today’s said 20%. Much more believable. Curious to see how (or if) that changes by the end of the month.

Sleep:

8 hours

Workout:

CrossFit (modified wod since I can’t use my hands)

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

sautéed zucchini

cinnamon roasted sweet potatoes

Snacks:

almonds

Comments

Janet says

I noticed you used coconut cream in your coffee. Is that the same thing as coconut cream concentrate? I tried it once and it left a funky oiliness to my cup of coffee. I have two jars of this stuff. Can you help with ideas? I do not want to waste it but bought it and thought I would use it more. HELP!

I just use a can of full fat coconut milk that I place in the fridge overnight. When you open it, the top is all the solid fatty stuff. I take a scoop of that and put it in my coffee. I believe it’s different from the concentrate as I *think* that has other stuff added to it (not sure though, read the label on your can). It does leave a bit of an oily taste and residue in the coffee, but I don’t mind it b/c I love the taste of coconut.

Janet says

Thanks for the idea of the coconut milk in the fridge. I am new at all this so these posts help A LOT!! I will need to look at my jar. I thought it was just coconut meat when I bought it from Tropical Traditions. I like the taste of coconut too :)

Have a beautiful day!

Wow 20% is very different from 28%. I’d say that one at the event was a bit messed up. Great to hear you we’re able to sweat it up a bit! Do you notice that you don’t eat as much throughout the day on the paleo diet? Something I noticed was that I just gravitated to bigger meals and then ate 2-3 times per day.

I don’t think I’m eating less overall, but my main meals are a bit bigger because I’m not snacking nearly as much throughout the day. Mostly because in the past, snacks included chocolate or something else non-paleo ;)

Jill says

I think I ought to try out paleo to help my extreme digestive issues…but I also think I need to eliminate eggs (and dairy) for a LONG time since I’m convinced my excess intake has lead to sensitivity to the extreme. I need a “start over”. would love to chat if you are open to email. Or can you tell me what you do about organic and hormone-free stuff? I’m on tight budget and live in a tiny place with nothing like that and only one grocery store with basic, poor choices. No local choices and no ordering.

Jill- feel free to email me! I do buy organic/grass fed about 95% of the time. It takes some running around to different stores but I make it work as it is possible for me both financially & from an accessibility standpoint. That being said, I don’t think it’s 100% necessary. I definitely do not buy all my produce organic. I choose to focus my efforts on protein rather than produce. I’ll buy celery and carrots organic but honestly, that’s about it. The rest is conventional. If your store has any protein that is specified as anti-biotic free you could try that. I know some of the conventional grocery stores have that and while not organic, it’s better than the others. If that’s not an option though, it’s not an option and you gotta do what you can, if anything. I’d stick to leaner meats if conventional as the fats from those animals are where a lot of the chemicals and crap that they’re fed is stored.

Jenny says

Pics look lovely. I’m going to try Paleo for 30 and see how I feel. You inspired me to try the plantains.