*The following post is sponsored by FitFluential LLC on behalf of Wild Blueberry Association of North America. All content and opinions are my own.*
These grain free, gluten free and paleo blueberry orange scones are the perfect breakfast treat.
Ulysses has been working a bunch of overnight shifts lately. When I tell this to everyone their reaction is always “oh, that sucks” or, “you must hate that!”. But here’s the truth, I kinda love it. He’s home when I’m awake, he’s gone when I’m sleeping, I can spend all night wasting my eyes away on the internet doing whatever I want and I get the entire bed TO MYSELF. Since he refuses to buy a king size bed after realizing it’s not just the expense of a new mattress, but a whole new bed frame, sheets and comforter, I feel like I’m justified in saying I enjoy not sleeping with my husband some nights. Queen sized beds just don’t leave enough turning room for two people and god forbid we touch at night. No, just no. Give me my space. Also, dude is a furnace. Which results in me waking up at 2am realizing I’m sweating through my shirt like I’m in the middle of workout. Gross.
But I’m not that horrible of a wife, almost every night he’s gone, I’ve been setting my alarm for 7am with ambitions of waking up 30 minutes before he gets home, cooking breakfast and having it on the table for him to eat before he goes to sleep for a few hours.
However, I’ve only actually accomplished this once.
Blueberries are the one fruit I have around almost all year. They’re perfect for breakfast because you can literally put them in everything and eating yogurt or granola with just bananas gets old real quick in the winter. Of course, during the summer fresh berries are my preference but during the winter, rather than buying flown in Chilean produce, I grab frozen wild blueberries from the store for my fix. They’re about half the size of the fresh ones but their flavor is way more intense and they have double the antioxidants due to the cold, harsh climate in Maine and Canada where they grow. Because they’re smaller, they freeze better too (less water content inside) which makes them great for baking.
These scones being no exception. Scones are supposed to be hearty and a bit crumbly so they lend themselves really well to being grain free. I used almond, cashew and coconut flour for the base in these and I’m just in love with their texture. The outside is crispy and crumbly while the inside is still moist, infused with an orange essence and packed with little bites of intense blueberry flavor.
And since there’s still 4 left, I’m thinking I can sleep in for at least the next 2 shifts too.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup cashew flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon hard/cold coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (you may substitute organic cane sugar)
- zest of 1 orange
- 11/2 cup almond milk (or whole milk which I prefer if not interested in keeping it paleo)
- 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
- Combine the flours, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and mix together.
- Cut in the hard coconut oil with a fork or your finger tips, working it into the flours until itâ??s evenly dispersed and the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the sugar and orange zest and mix with a fork.
- Add the milk and combine with a spatula.
- Fold in the blueberries until dispersed throughout the dough.
- Transfer the dough out onto the baking sheet and form into a circle with your hands. Dough should be about 10-12 inches wide and about 1 inch thick.
- Sprinkle the top with organic cane sugar and gently press into the dough with your hands. (optional)
- Slice through the dough completely to form 8 even segments and bake for 18-22 minutes until the edges are crispy and starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet.
- With a spatula or knife, pull the segments apart and serve.
- Keep stored in an air tight container.
Looking for gift ideas? Check out my 2013 holiday gift guide full of kitchen, food & healthy living goodies!