This sweet and spicy Indian chicken is marinated in yogurt and spices and finished with a sweet and sticky maple syrup glaze. It’s outrageously delicious and will easily become your go-to chicken dinner.
A couple of weeks ago when Brandy and I went to the spa for the afternoon, we left as one always does after a massage and spa day, looking like greased rats. Now, I’m all for essential oils (actually just ordered my starter kit and am getting into this whole oil thing!) and I do love a good rub down (um, who doesn’t?) but when they get all up in your head and neck area there’s just no avoiding the fact that you’re going to leave the place looking like you either took a grease shower or spent the whole day in bed with sex hair. Don’t act like you don’t know what that looks like.
So, we emerge back into the real world in this greased state and although no one should ever be seen in public in a condition such as we were in, we decided we needed food. Like asap too because instead of eating lunch we got pampered all afternoon and our stomachs were making obscene noises. The options were Thai, BBQ or Indian and we went with Indian because I couldn’t even remember the last time I had Indian food not from the frozen food aisle of Trader Joes.
An hour later (gotta love how fast an Indian joint is), we walked back out into the cold now as greased rats who smelled like curry from head to toe. Quite the sight (and smell).
While I drove home as fast as possible, the shower calling my name, I decided Indian food needed to be recreated. There’s no reason to leave it up to Trader Joes chana masala when getting the flavors of Indian food is no more difficult than raiding your spice cabinet.
I could go on and on about how freakin’ delicious this chicken is but I think it says it all when I say that between Ulysses and I, we polished off the entire 1.5 pounds of it for LUNCH. Not even dinner, lunch. It’s just amazingly spicy, sweet and sticky and I guarantee if you make it, it’ll become your new go-to chicken recipe for eternity.
Just beware, your house will smell like curry. It’s inevitable. Embrace it and maybe throw in some greased hair for the full effect.
Sweet and Spicy Indian Chicken
This sweet and spicy Indian chicken is marinated in yogurt and spices and finished with a sweet and sticky maple syrup glaze. It's outrageously delicious and will easily become your go-to chicken dinner.
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon roasted red chili paste (*you can omit if you don't have and just use an additional tablespoon of the red curry paste instead)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
For the glaze
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Combine the yogurt, all the spices including the curry and chili paste and the lemon juice in a small bowl and mix together with a spoon.
- Place the chicken in a large baking dish and coat in the yogurt mixture. You can let the chicken marinate like this for up to 8 hours if you'd like or you can cook it right away.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high.
- Add the coconut oil. Once melted and hot, add the chicken to the skillet.
- Cook 5-7 minutes on one side until golden brown then flip and cook another 3 minutes on the other side until the chicken is cooked through.
- Whisk the maple syrup and lemon juice for the glaze together in a small bowl and add to the skillet with the chicken.
- Cook down 1-2 minutes until bubbly and starting to reduce. Flip the chicken a few times in the glaze to coat. Turn off the heat and serve.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with a yogurt, cilantro, lemon juice mixture if desired.