This strawberry brie panini is a heavenly combination of strawberries, brie and caramelized onions melted together.
This panini. Oh my gosh, this panini. Words are not going to do this sandwich justice. Like, at all.
I had an idea early yesterday morning while making breakfast and spotting the hunk of brie that had been sitting untouched in the cheese drawer for about a month that it needed to somehow get itself together with the abundance of strawberries, also in the fridge.
Well, the brie kind of skipped the dating stage and went straight to bed with the strawberries. We’re talking full out, 50 Shades of Gray (or so I’ve been told, haven’t read it) in bed kinda thing. It’s basically sex on a sandwich.
Did I really just write that?
It’s a complete hot mess of a panini with caramelized onions falling out from every end, melted cheese dripping down and strawberries sliding around. Kind of like me in the natural foods store yesterday breaking the bag of chia seeds as I went to lift it onto the conveyor belt and spilling 1 pound of them down my leg, into my shoe, into my bag and all over the floor. Hot.mess.
If the onions sound weird to you, I get it. At first, I thought the likelihood of this turning out to be an epic failure was running pretty high with the inclusion of the onions. I was wrong. So, so wrong. I don’t even know how to describe how right it actually was so you’ll just have to take my word for it and make it yourself.
S.O.S Sex on sandwich? Send over some? Strawberries or Sex? I’m losing my mind. Give me another.
- 4 pieces of bread or 2 english muffins
- 6 slices of brie
- 4 leaves of basil
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 4 large strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat with 1/2 tablespoon of butter and olive oil.
- Add onions and saute for about 15 minutes until golden and starting to caramelize.
- Add strawberries 1-2 minutes before onions are done to the same pan and season with a pinch of salt.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread remaining butter on outer sides of bread or english muffin.
- Layer the brie and basil on 1 slice of each sandwich.
- Place the onions on top of the basil on each sandwich and top with the strawberries.
- Grill sandwiches on a panini press for about 5 minutes until golden brown on the outside and cheese is melted on the inside.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 484.81Total Fat: 22.51gCarbohydrates: 64.01gProtein: 16.12g