Serve it over mashed sweet potatoes or toss it with pasta, either way this slow cooker short rib ragu is the perfect comfort food as the weather gets cooler.
It’s been less than a month and I’m already back with another slow cooker recipe. First there were slow cooker bbq apple pulled pork sandwiches and now this slow cooker short rib ragu. I’m trying hard this season to embrace the thing, really, I am.
Not only is there my slow cooker recipe today either, but 5 other healthy slow cooker recipes as well. I’m teaming up again with some of my healthy food blogging friends to give you all sorts of delicious fall inspired slow cooker recipes and a giveaway for a 6-quart programmable Hamilton Beach slow cooker (see widget at the bottom of the post to enter).
One of my favorite family comfort foods when the temps drop is my mom’s bolognese sauce. It’s meaty, hearty, comforting and everything I want to eat on a crisp fall day. That was sort of my basis for this short rib ragu except, well, with short ribs.
Short ribs kick ground beef’s ass any day of the week as far as I’m concerned and they’re just perfect for the slow cooker (although, they’re also great grilled in the summer time like these grilled BBQ short ribs). After 6-7 hours, the meat just falls off the bone and gets super tender. Shred it up, toss it back in with the wine, broth and tomato mushroom base and you’ve got the perfect sauce to top a sweet potato mash (paleo) or some al dente pasta (not paleo but delicious). This cauliflower pumpkin mash would be the perfect base too.
Let’s take a look at everyone else’s slow cooker creations…
Davida’s Slow Cooker Applesauce
All you need are two ingredients (apples and cinnamon) and your slow cooker to make this super easy and sugar-free slow cooker applesauce recipe! Perfect for Fall snacking or to use in baked goods!
This tender, paleo slow cooker roast beef is mixed with pumpkin and salsa and then shredded! It’s perfect in tacos or on a salad for a healthy, weeknight meal, that is full of fall flavor!
Lexi’s Slow Cooker Roasted Chicken
Dinner has never been so good! Packed with delicious flavors, this slow-cooked roasted whole chicken is so easy to throw together, and makes for the perfect meal! Pair it with veggies, salad, or anything you’d like and you are ready to go!
Brittany’s Slow Cooker Fajita Soup
Craving Mexican? Simply toss all the ingredients for fajitas in your slow cooker and a few hours later you’ll have a comforting soup that’s packed with flavor and a hint of spice.
Lee’s Honey Sriracha Chicken
All you need are 5 ingredients to make this delicious, clean-eating slow cooker honey sriracha chicken that’s made with REAL food.
And of course my slow cooker short rib ragu.
I know it requires a searing step before it gets going in the slow cooker and while I sorta hate that about slow cooker recipes, it’s really so worth it when it comes to meat like this.
And if you want to try another short rib recipe not made in the slow cooker, check out this spicy porter short rib chili!
- 3 pounds bone-in short ribs
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 5-7 sprigs thyme
- 1-2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- salt and pepper
- Place the short ribs in a large bowl and toss with the tapioca flour.
- Place the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, place the short ribs in the pot and sear until browned on each side.
- Transfer the browned short-ribs to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove the short ribs, shred the meat off the bones and return to the slow cooker. Continue cooking another 30-45 minutes.
- Serve over mashed sweet potato or pasta.