This roasted cherry chocolate chip frozen yogurt can be made without an ice cream maker!
This summer has felt like a blur. There’s been exactly 2 weekends since the start of June that we’ve just chilled at home. There have been exactly zero nights we’ve used our chiminea on the porch and kicked back with a beer (or cider if your name is Ulysses).
Instead, it’s been a stream of go-go-go, struggling to feel like you have any control over your life from both a work and personal standpoint and barely coming up for enough air to keep at it. And you know what makes it 10 trillion times worse, leaving you feeling completely on edge all.the.time?
Social media updates.
Last week I finally had enough.
I turned off email push notifications on my phone.
Turned off instagram “like” notifications.
Told twitter mentions to shut the heck up.
Deleted my Facebook “pages” app.
And made frozen yogurt.
I can’t even begin to explain how freeing it is to not have your phone buzzing at you constantly, waking up to see 25 emails in your inbox or obsessing over who has “liked” your stupid picture of food on instagram.
These things take up so much mental space that you don’t even realize until you’re outside on your front porch, in bare feet, soaking up the sun, eating roasted cherry frozen yogurt that you made from scratch without any technological distractions watching your dog jump around like a maniac trying to eat a bee.
Just you, sweet honey roasted cherries, handful of chocolate chips and a crazy Weimaraner that make you wonder why the heck you didn’t do this sooner.
And then in the irony of all ironies, you write about it on your blog. Ha.
Looking for more summer treats?
If you love the tartness of frozen yogurt, try this strawberry kefir ice cream. It has a similar tanginess and lovely creamy texture!
Roasted Cherry Chocolate Chip Frozen Yogurt
- 1 cup pitted & halved cherries
- 1/2 + 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/4 cup plain full fat greek yogurt
- 7 oz half a can full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss cherries with 1/2 tablespoon honey and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Spread out on lined or very well greased baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, set aside.
- Whisk together yogurt, coconut milk and remaining 1 tablespoon honey in a medium bowl.
- Freeze mixture for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the freezer and whisk vigorously breaking up any chunks that started to freeze.
- Add roasted cherries and chocolate chips and transfer to a shallow baking dish (a 8×8 or something similar).
- Return to freezer and freeze for about 1-1.5 hours, removing every 20-30 minutes to stir and break up mixture with a spatula.
- After 1.5 hours you should have an almost "soft serve" like consistency.
- Transfer frozen yogurt to a medium bowl and blend with a hand held mixer on medium speed until creamy.
- Return to freezer (in the medium bowl) for another 30 minutes and you'll have a "soft" frozen yogurt like consistency ready to enjoy!
- If eating after being frozen overnight or many hours later, remove from freezer 10-15 minutes before serving.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Gina Matsoukas is the writer, founder, photographer and recipe developer of Running to the Kitchen — a food website focused on providing healthy, wholesome recipes using fresh and seasonal ingredients as much as possible. Her work has been featured in numerous media outlets both digital and print, including MSN, Huffington post, Buzzfeed, Women’s Health and Food Network.