This mango black bean salad comes together in just a few minutes for a refreshing, healthy protein packed lunch or side dish.
Yesterday, June 13, I used the heated seats in my car. Please understand we have 6 winter months in which that is acceptable, June is not one of them. Summer is for A/C and barbeques. Swimming pools and beaches. Beer and mango, black bean salads. Not heated seats. I’d appreciate it if you could get your act back together.
Mangoes bring me back to my childhood and memories of my dad. I can clearly remember the first time I had one. We waited patiently for it to ripen on the countertop. Once ripe, it went into the fridge to chill. Then, we all waited for dad to cut it “correctly”. Did you know mangoes are the national fruit of India? My dad grew up in Calcutta, India. He knows mangoes.
From that day on mangoes have been one of my all time favorite fruits. I don’t know why I then tend to forget about them for extended periods of time. It’s almost as if they are too much of a “treat” to just be considered fruit. I equate them more with the likes of chocolate cake. Enjoyed occasionally, not an everyday indulgence. When they caught my eye in the grocery store yesterday, I knew it was time for us to get reacquainted.
Since the weather hasn’t been cooperating, I decided to take matters into my own hands and create a salad that at least tastes like summer. Mangoes + black beans + cilantro = summer. Anyone who disagrees with that equation obviously didn’t excel in math class.
6 ingredients + chopping/dicing + a simple vinaigrette = 1 delicious summer salad
That’s some AP stuff right there. Or not. I got a 2 in AP calc, what do I know?
For the Salad
- 1 large ripe mango, diced
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 fresh ears of corn, cut off the cob
- 1 very small red onion or 1/4 of a medium red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro, diced
- 1 medium jicama, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon or 1/2 lemon + 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt & pepper
- After chopping and dicing, combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together vinaigrette ingredients and pour over salad.
- Toss to combine.
- Season with more salt and pepper if needed and chill before serving.
How do you cut/eat a mango? I have a coworker who pokes a hole in it and then sucks the fruit out.