Chocolate chili stuffed spaghetti squash mixed with baby spinach and feta cheese is an indulgent yet healthy dinner and makes for great leftovers!
At crossfit, (those two words are becoming the “one time, at band camp” of my household and are now met with eye rolls from Ulysses the second they come out of my mouth) we have a cinderblock wall with the statement “cheaters are not welcome here” written across it in big letters. I don’t purposely cheat (and I say purposely because sometimes after tens or even hundreds of double unders I just lose count and might actually skip a few by accident, who knows) there. What’s the point? It would just be cheating myself.
Today, however, I’m a cheater.
If you came looking for a delicious chocolate chili recipe well, guess what? It’s already posted.
So I enticed you with a long, drool worthy title and in reality the only thing I made was spaghetti squash.
While I love these creamy pesto spaghetti squash noodles stuffing one with some decadent chocolate chili isn’t too bad either.
I did mix it up with some spinach and feta cheese, but let’s be real here, baking a squash is not rocket science.
Instead of spending most of the weekend prepping for the the end of the world like the rest of the northeastern United States, I spent it with two of my best girl friends from college. And instead of spending Sunday afternoon when they left prepping for the blog, I spent it at a 1 year old’s birthday party. And so, cheating was necessary.
Despite all efforts, I can’t really seem to get myself ahead lately. In my ideal world I’d have at least a week’s worth of recipes and posts just waiting to be thrown up. In reality, I make most of the stuff you see here as I eat it and write rambling stories to go along with it the night before because getting a week ahead seems to be impossible with a full time job and trying to maintain some sort of “balance” between real life and this virtual one. All of which inevitably comes down to reading about baked squash stuffed with someone else’s chili today.
I’d say sorry but there’s really no reason to be.
It’s delicious and healthy. It’s a fun way to eat chili. And it takes a great recipe and makes it even better (in my opinion at least).
If this is cheating, I’m ok with being a cheater every now and then.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 2 tablespoons feta, crumbled
- 2 cups chocolate chili
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Fill a rectangular (9x13 or similar) baking pan with about 1/2 inch of water.
- Slice spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season heavily with salt & pepper.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until fork tender.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes until the squash can be handled.
- Carefully remove flesh of the squash with a fork into a medium bowl keeping the squash halves intact.
- Add chopped spinach and toss to combine while squash is still hot to wilt the spinach. Season with more salt & pepper if necessary.
- Spoon squash/spinach mixture back into squash skin and top with 1 cup of the chili in each half.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve.