These bacon spinach breakfast frittata muffins are paleo and a great healthy addition to any breakfast spread.
Behold the muffata. Muffin + frittata obvi.
Come January 3rd, my box is doing a paleo challenge for 28 days. I was excited about this until reading the rules and realizing things like honey, almond milk (unless it’s homemade) and coffee are going to make me lose points. Why is it that 8 ounces of water can be one heck of a bitch to get down but 8 ounces of coffee is gone in the time you blink. I’ve never measured the amount of coffee I drink in a day, but I can assure you it is more than 8 ounces. Probably 4 times over. It’s not even the caffeine, it’s the whole morning ritual of it.
And no, I don’t want to switch to tea or something lame like that. Coffee = mornings and tea = nights around here. Don’t even try to convince me otherwise.
So, I started experimenting. Because I know the coffee thing is going to be a –1 every day, I need to tighten up in other areas and that little piece of Ezekiel bread that makes it’s way into my breakfast every so often is one of the first things I thought of. Low hanging fruit if you will.
What I came up with is the best of both worlds. A psuedo grain muffin with eggs and bacon. Your brain thinks it’s eating bread but in reality it’s all protein & veg. Bring it, paleo challenge.
Ok not really. I’m still not ready to part with honey and chocolate.
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup almond milk (*see note)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a muffin tin.
- Combine flours, flax seed, nutritional yeast, baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy. Remove bacon and let drain on a paper towel.
- Saute baby spinach until just wilted in the same skillet with the bacon grease.
- While spinach cooks, lightly whisk eggs and egg whites together in a small bowl.
- Add eggs to spinach and cook for about 15 seconds, constantly scrambling with a spatula until eggs are just set but still undercooked.
- Add almond milk and olive oil to the dry ingredients and combine with a spatula. Add egg & spinach mixture and combine again.
- Crumble bacon into pieces and fold into the batter.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin tins and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool in tin for about 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove and serve warm.
*I used almond milk from a carton (which is technically not allowed in the paleo challenge). I plan to make almond milk myself for the challenge and will use that during the 28 days. I also plan to try these with canned coconut milk (same quantity) and I think that would work. If you don't care about being 100% strict, use carton almond milk and save yourself the hassle!