These basil parmesan bacon egg cups are a quick and easy savory breakfast or snack filled with protein.
That’s a mouthful isn’t it? And these are literally just that. Breakfast, a high protein post workout snack or a cute little idea for brunch in one mouthful. Maybe two.
After seeing Katie do these a few months ago, the idea had been in my head to try out with some different flavors. Basil and parmesan sounded like a pretty good complement to the maple bacon I had on hand.
If you liked the kale & feta egg bake, this is even easier. No sautéing necessary, just layer the ingredients in and bake it off.
It’s hard to argue with anything surrounded in a ring of bacon. I know bacon is pretty much all the rage these days. People putting it in cupcakes, in cake and crumbling on top of pretty much anything and everything else that’s edible. But to me, bacon is still best with eggs. It’s classic, it’s quintessential breakfast and you know what…it’s really not that bad for you.
I happened to actually look at the nutritional stats for it when making this (something I guess I’ve just never done, assuming it was pretty horrific) and I was kind of shocked to see it at only 40 calories a piece. Sure, it’s high in fat and all that jazz. But that made me feel better about the occasional piece or two I have.
Turkey bacon, tempeh bacon, they’d probably all work fine too. It’s basically just a tasty holder for the egg and cheese when it comes down to it.
I’m writing this from 35,000 feet or so in the air knowing I was going to be spending this weekend in a cabin in Colorado and internet would be suspect at best. It’s 2pm somewhere in the mountain time zone, I ate lunch at 11am in the eastern time zone and this horrible flight has nothing but peanuts, sunchips (worst chips ever) or biscoff cookies. While I’d love a biscoff cookie, I don’t think that would do anything for the creeping hunger that’s starting to slowly make me nervous about when and where I’m going to eat (because not knowing the time and location of my next meal seriously gives me anxiety). I’m not sure if it’s that or the fact that these bacon egg cups were really that good, but I can’t stop wishing for one to appear in front of me right now.
And since that isn’t going to happen, I’ll just happily sip the vodka, cranberry and lime that’s going straight to my head.
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 leaves of basil
- 1/3 cup parmesan, grated
- 2-3 tablespoons liquid egg white (*optional)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease 2 small ramekins with olive oil or baking spray.
- Wrap each bacon slice around the inside of the ramekins.
- Layer half the shallots on the bottom of each ramekin.
- Next, layer 2 leaves of basil in each ramekin and half the parmesan cheese.
- Repeat again with shallots, basil and parmesan.
- Crack an egg on top of each ramekin and if using, pour egg whites to fill the gaps (this will help the "cup" stay together after baking).
- Garnish with salt & pepper.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until egg white starts to turn white. Finish by broiling on hi for 2-3 minutes.