So it’s January. We’re done with the cookies and everyone’s got their resolutions in full swing. Eat better, work out more, be a better person, blah blah blah…
I don’t do resolutions. I make concerted efforts at different times of the year for different things, but resolutions? Nope. They just sound like an ultimatum and a sure fire way to set myself up for failure. Do I want to eat better now that the constant temptation of Godiva chocolates, cheesecakes, cookies and the family favorite, Pandoro are out of sight? Absolutely. I’m just refusing to say that I will do xy or z while doing so. No diets, no specific amount of workouts or miles to run, just one healthy decision after another and hopefully more of them than unhealthy ones. It’s that simple.
So for me, that means keeping a stocked pantry and lots of fresh produce on hand to be able to make healthy meals without much effort. Honestly, I’m kinda over the roasted brussels sprouts and squashes by this time of year and now that the holidays are over, all I want is some sunshine and the onset of spring. But that’s not coming for at least another 3 months in good ‘ol New York so I’ll just have to make do with fresh, bright food that reminds me of sunshine, warmer times and a tan (which my pasty white skin would really appreciate right about now).
Peaches are the one summer fruit I just can’t live without during the winter so there’s always at least one can of them in the pantry. After visiting some of the farms Del Monte sources their peaches from in California, I can’t help but wonder if they might be the ones we saw on the trees last summer, days before harvesting every time I open a can.
The pistachio crust on this flank steak is awesome as it is, but brightened up with the simple peach puree, it just totally steals the show from right out underneath your typical winter fare.
Maybe I take back my statement on resolutions, because I could totally resolve to eat this every week.
- 1 pound flank steak
- salt & pepper
- ½ cup unsalted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons almond meal or flour
- 1 15 ounce can Del Monte peaches in 100% juice
- 3-4 leaves fresh basil
- ½ inch cube of fresh ginger
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Season the flank steak with salt and pepper, pressing the seasoning into the meat with your hands.
- Combine the pistachios and almond flour in a food processor and pulse a few times until coarsely chopped.
- Spray the steak with cooking spray and then top with the pistachio mixture, pressing it firmly onto the top of the steak.
- Place the steak on the wire rack and cook in the oven on a low rack for about 20 minutes for medium-rare to medium.
- Meanwhile, combine the peaches, basil leaves and ginger in the food processor and process until pureed.
- Remove the steak from the oven and let it rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Spoon the peach puree over the top of the slices before serving.
Connect with Del Monte on facebook
For the chance to win a $100 Visa gift card leave a comment below telling me your favorite fruit or vegetable to stock in your pantry.
Sweepstakes Rules: No duplicate comments. You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected. The Official Rules are available here. This sweepstakes runs from 1/6/2014-2/6/2014 Be sure to visit the Del Monte brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!
This post is sponsored by Blogher & Del Monte. All opinions and content are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsored posts I choose to do on here.