Spicy pina colada margarita

This spicy pina colada is a cross between a margarita, pina colada and guacamole. Refreshing, spicy and healthy.
Spicy pina-rita

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

I made you something green….except it’s Mexican inspired.

Don’t tell the Irish, but they just can’t compete with a good Mexican meal or drink.

Last year on this exact day we had just gotten here:

mexico

Don’t mind Ulysses’ hairy feet or my $10 sunglasses.

The only reason there is no one at that swim up bar is because this was about 9am and after that I had some sort of tropical drink next to my chair at all times.

This spicy pina-rita (and please note the Spanish major in me is very bothered by the fact that I can’t figure out how to get the tilde on top of the “n” in pina on my computer) is a tribute in a sad, I wish I was there right now sort of way to that trip.

This is going to sound weird, but stick with me. It’s guacamole meets margarita meets pina colada minus any of the alcohol in either of those drinks. Although, feel free to booze it up, I won’t tell. It is St. Patrick’s Day after all and if there is any real significance to the day besides an excuse to drink green alcoholic beverages, I’m unaware of it.

It’s refreshing, spicy and the salted rim will make you lick your way around that glass in a highly unattractive manner somewhat reminiscent of a 12 year old’s first make out session.

This was actually my first time using the Himalayan crystal salt I picked out from Swanson’s site and it was purely because the pink hue (which doesn’t show up in the pictures) was pretty. Taste wise, salt is salt. No need to get yours from far away mountain ranges.

So forget about the Irish, get yourselves some tostadas, throw together some pina-ritas and cheers to the freakin’ weekend!

5.0 from 1 reviews
Spicy pina-rita

Prep time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 1
Ingredients
  • ½ an avocado
  • ½ cup pineapple, chopped
  • juice of ½ a lime
  • ⅓ cup orange juice
  • ½ cup coconut milk (from a carton)
  • 1 jalapeno, seeds removed
  • pinch of salt
  • handful of ice
Instructions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
  2. Rim glasses with salt pour smoothie into glasses and garnish with lime and coconut flakes if desired.

Comments

Since there’s no booze, I can have this for breakfast… then add some booze and have it with dinner. Im likin’ the sound of that! Your picture is making me want to go on a vacation really reeeeeally bad!!!!

haha I just love the whole mexican theme lately because Mexican food trumps irish food any day in my opinion. I would give a lot of things to be in that swim up bar right this second ahhh, looks heavenly.

Emily @ Life On Food says

It does sound strange but I really want to try it. The Irish don’t have anything on the Mexicans when it comes to food.

Very daring with the jalapeno! I have heard of people sprinkling cayenne in their smoothies, but I like the idea of a jalapeno better. I also have yet to try an avocado in a smoothie, so I’m looking forward to this spicy, tropical drink :)

Avocado and pineapple sound good together… I like this non alcoholic healthy drink. The combinations are all my favorites. For some reason, I don’t like the fruity alcoholic drinks so much. I’m more of a wine and porter or stout lover.

Since I feel like every time you post a drink I comment that I want to add alcohol to it, but I’m not going to this time. Even if its true. Between you and Jenna, I really want to go to the tropics.

Yummy yummy.

For the ñ…if on a PC, if the keyboard is set to US, it likely is, then press Alt and 141.
    If you set your keyboard to US international (control panel, regional…languages, keyboard settings), then just press Alt and n.

Sorry, my fault…it’s 0141

I forgot the zero.

Alt+
        0141 ñ
        0225 á
        0233 é
        161 í. Yep, no 0 needed
        0243 ó. I think this one is right…
        0250 ú

Alternatively, you can change your keyboard settings…would be a lot easier

thank you! Just used one in the post I was writing for tomorrow and it worked. I also changed my keyboard just now too, thanks for the tip!

Megan says

YUM! My 25th birthday is tomorrow and I can’t think of a better way to celebrate than making these and maybe spiking with a little something and pretending it’s my 21st instead :)

LOVE your $10 sunglasses….(not Ulyss’ feet though…hairy feet, yuck…why don’t boys like…clean those things). And I’m dying to be someplace by the water where it’s warm.

I can see the pink in the salt, just a bit in the last picture at the front of the glass. Your shake turned out a nice color, much prettier than most green shakes. I’m sure between the coconut and the avocado it’s very creamy.