A chilled strawberry soup with orange and mint. Perfect as an appetizer or dessert on a hot day.
Want to know why I love the internet, specifically twitter? Because within 5 minutes of asking the world if strawberry soup seemed weird, I had over 15 replies that pretty much said “no, go for it!”
The internet validates my crazy. Or, it’s just way easier to lie from behind a computer screen. Either way, strawberry soup is here because of it.
I’m honestly not sure what to call this. In fact, I just stared at my categories for 10 minutes trying to decide which one it fits into. Is it a snack? An appetizer? A dessert? Just a smoothie poured in a bowl? Not sure…kind of all of the above.
Regardless, it’s delicious. Especially, on 73 degree sunny spring days.
Strawberries were 3/$3.00 or $1.50 each. Seriously, that’s what the sign said. I’d love to know who didn’t realize that and take the third pint.
Nonetheless, there was a point this week in which we had 5 pints of strawberries in our fridge. Something had to be done.
Although similar to a smoothie, I usually (as in never) take the time to simmer my strawberries with orange zest and mint before blending them up. That’s the part of this soup that makes it stand out. It’s like a slightly sweet gazpacho.
I can’t imagine anything more refreshing as the start or finish to a summer (or March) meal.
What up now Mr. Punxsutawney I saw my shadow Phil?
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
- ½ tablespoon honey
- zest of 1 orange
- 4 mint leaves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon orange extract
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup kefir
- ¼ cup almond milk (any milk is fine)
- Combine strawberries through water in a small sauce pan and simmer over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, breaking down strawberries with a spoon as they soften. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, combine strawberry mixture with kefir and milk in a blender and puree until smooth. Add more almond milk if you want the soup thinner.
- Chill soup for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with mint.