This strawberry yogurt chocolate chip snack cake is the perfect light dessert or afternoon snack. It’s dairy free and made with healthy oat and whole wheat flours.
April has been one heck of a month for travel. From a weekend trip to DC to see cherry blossoms to NYC and Chicago last week to Vermont this week, it feels as if I’ve barely been home all month. At my previous job, I got made fun of for constantly having food on me to the point in which my purse was lovingly referred to as a “food satchel” by coworkers. I traveled a lot and there was nothing worse (at least to me) than being caught on a plane, in a car or in the middle of a conference meeting when hunger struck without any food on you. So, at any given time you could pretty much always find a granola bar or something similar in my bag.
It’s been a year and half since I’ve had that job and somewhere along the way I forgot the rule of the road to always have food on you for situations like that because until my trip up to Vermont yesterday, I was food-less on every trip this month. Each time I’d come to the realization of how hungry I was (in the car to NYC, mid-air over a great lake on my way to Chicago, etc.) I’d tell myself how stupid I was and make a mental note to bring some next time.
Well, next time kept coming and I kept forgetting until yesterday.
Yesterday, I was prepared. I had an apple, cheese, nuts, tons of homemade beef jerky (recipe coming because it turned out amazing!) and ample water. Want to know what I didn’t have though?
The strawberry yogurt chocolate chip snack cake I made specifically with this trip in mind.
Nope, that was sitting nicely wrapped in tin foil on the counter right by my bag where it was supposed to remind me to take it for the 5 hour car ride north. Instead, Ulysses gets to enjoy it all to himself while I reminisce about how good the one piece I shoved in my face after taking these pictures was.
Here’s the thing about this cake…it has the word “snack” in it. So that obviously means it’s acceptable to eat at any point in the day. Note to self: every cake from here on our shall be called a ‘snack cake’.
Seriously though, as far as cakes go, this one has some legit healthy snacking attributes. Made with whole wheat and oat flours, coconut oil, coconut sugar and Silk dairy free yogurt alternative, it’s actually not “yogurt” cake at all but it sure as heck mimics it in a deliciously moist, dairy free and berry filled way. Even when it’s sitting on your kitchen counter, 5 hours away.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (palm sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 1 5.3oz container Silk strawberry dairy free yogurt alternative
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips + more for topping
- 1/3 cup hulled, chopped strawberries
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 8x8 baking dish with baking spray.
- Combine the flours, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Whisk together the coconut sugar, eggs, Silk yogurt alternative, coconut oil and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir together until fully incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and transfer the batter into the baking dish.
- Combine the strawberries and maple syrup in a food processor. Process until a jam-like consistency. Pour the mixture on top of the batter and swirl into the batter with a knife or spatula.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a cooling rack.
- Gently remove from the baking dish once cool enough to handle.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 356 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 43mg Sodium: 174mg Carbohydrates: 52g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 18g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 9g
Check out Silk on Instagram for more great ways to make dairy-free delicious!
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.