Note: This post first appeared on October 25, 2011. The recipe has been slightly edited, photography updated (thank goodness because it was pretty horrific before) and now includes 5 other healthy soups perfect for fall from some of my blogging friends. Enjoy!
This easy creamy broccoli soup is rich, comforting and topped with crispy shallots. It’s also paleo, gluten free, vegetarian and vegan.
The text in the original post (which I’ve deleted) talked all about how much broccoli we eat in our house. A lot has changed in the last 5 years since I first posted this creamy broccoli soup but, our broccoli consumption is not one of them.
You can find a huge bag of organic florets (awesome score at BJs) constantly in our freezer as back up but to be honest, it hardly gets used because there are pretty much always, at minimum, at least 2 heads of the vegetable in our refrigerator as well.
I seriously have never understood that kid aversion to this magnificent vegetable because I love it so much.
And while I’m happy to eat it every way from a simple steam with a squeeze of lemon to roasted to even riced, sometimes I go all out and make this creamy broccoli soup. It’s been a long time favorite because it’s just seriously so easy and the best part is the ingredient list. It’s healthy AF, guys.
But before we get into this soup, let’s take a look at what everyone else brought to the table!
Curried Cauliflower Rice Kale Soup (Vegan, Paleo) – Cotter Crunch
This Curried Cauliflower Rice Kale Soup is one flavorful and healthy soup to keep you warm this season.
An easy soup recipe for a nutritious meal-in-a-bowl. Paleo, vegan, and Whole30 friendly!
Thai Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup – Food Faith Fitness
This crock pot chicken noodle soup has a Thai spin!
It uses butternut squash noodles to keep it gluten free, paleo friendly and under 300 calories and 3 SmartPoints! A low-carb option is included!
Crock-Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup with Kale – Fit Foodie Finds
Chicken Tortilla Soup never got easier AND HEALTHIER!
Throw everything in your crock-pot and you’ve got dinner ready before you know it!
Slow Cooker Sausage Kale Soup – Eating Bird Food
Come home to a warm and comforting meal with this slow cooker sausage kale soup!
It’s packed with flavor and a breeze to whip up.
Green Chile Vegetable Soup – Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
This Green Chile Vegetable Soup is light, flavorful, and packed with hearty veggies! It’s the perfect meatless soup to keep you warm all season long!
Customize this soup with your favorite veggies, beans, and/or gluten-free pasta, too!
They’re all so cozy and perfect for fall, aren’t they?
The way this creamy broccoli soup is written in the directions, it’s paleo.
That said, of course you can use regular flour and milk if you’d like and it’d still be an amazingly delicious healthy bowl (and still vegetarian and gluten free).
The crispy shallot topping is something you don’t want to skip.
It brings a bit of texture to the otherwise completely creamy soup and a pop of flavor both from the sweetness of the shallots and the olive oil they’re crisped in.
Love this creamy broccoli soup with crispy shallots recipe?
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons paleo baking flour paleo baking flour (or arrowroot starch or gluten-free flour)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other nut milk)
For the shallots
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- In a large dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and sauté until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add flour, stir and cook for another minute.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add broccoli, cumin, thyme, nutmeg, salt and pepper and cook covered under low-medium heat for about 35-40 minutes until broccoli is soft.
- Remove from heat and ladle into a blender (alternatively, use an immersion blender to puree)
- Add almond milk and blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Garnish with crispy shallots and serve hot.
For crispy shallots
- Heat olive oil in small pan, add shallots and cook for 3-5 minutes over medium-high heat until golden brown and crispy, careful not to burn.
- Remove shallots from the pan to a paper towel and let drain.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 202 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 847mg Carbohydrates: 22g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g