This barley mango salad is a hearty yet refreshing and spring-like meal.
I’m wishing winter away with this salad. Seriously, I’ve had enough. As if the 3 feet of piled up snow outside weren’t bad enough, I had to shovel that much off our front walkway just so our new couch could be delivered today because there’s no way it’d fit through the garage door, a feat probably worse than 90% of my CrossFit workouts.
I feel this way every February (hello, SAD), but there’s just all these feelings of anger, annoyance, frustration and depression rumbling deep down inside of me. Sometimes they boil to the surface and scream “GET ME THE EFF OUT OF THIS WEATHER!”
This has been one of those weeks. And since hopping on a flight or getting on a cruise to somewhere warm isn’t possible right now (although believe me, I’ve looked) I’m trying to combat it with food.
Spring-like sprouts, mango and the bright cilantro in this salad do a pretty damn good job of getting me out of my funk but seriously snow, you can stop now.
For the Salad
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 head of watercress, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup alfafa sprouts
- 3 tablespoons pepitas
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
For the Dressing
- 1 rip avocado
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- salt & pepper
- Place barley in a small sauce pot, fill with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook covered for about 25 minutes until the water is absorbed. Stir and set aside to cool.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a food processor, process until smooth and set aside.
- Transfer the cooled barley to a large bowl, add the remaining salad ingredients and toss to combine.
- Add the dressing to the salad, stir gently to combine, season with more salt & pepper if needed and serve.
Adding cooked shredded chicken to this salad makes a great meal! Slightly adapted from The Kitchn.