These paleo chocolate donuts with coconut vanilla bean icing are baked for a healthy and delicious grain and gluten free treat.
So, I got a donut pan. And let me just preface the rest of this post by saying yes, I do realize it is actually “doughnut” and no, I don’t care that I’m spelling it wrong. Yes, you may call me lazy.
It’s kind of funny because I’d seriously been looking for one for over a year, desperate to make donuts in my oven like the rest of the world and then when I find it and actually bake in it, I realize it’s kind of over-hyped. Hate when that happens.
Don’t get me wrong, these are good. But they’re basically cake in donut form. Donuts should be fried, not baked. So when you fill a mold with batter, stick it in your oven and expect anything remotely resembling Dunkin, you might be slightly disappointed. Sorry to burst anyone’s bubble on that, just keeping it real.
However, I happen to like cake. Chocolate cake with coconut butter vanilla bean icing is even better. So if it happens to be in the shape of a donut, I’m not gonna complain.
They might not stop me from the occasional munchkin order, but they’re fun nonetheless.
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut butter, melted to a pourable state
- ¼ of a vanilla bean, scraped
- 1½ tablespoons water
- ½ tablespoon honey
- unsweetened coconut flakes for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Separate eggs and combine yolks with remaining wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until combined.
- Beat egg whites with a hand held mixer until light and fluffy.
- Fold egg whites into batter until just combined.
- Pour batter into donut pan.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. Remove from pan and transfer to cooling rack.
- Combine melted coconut butter with water and honey and stir until fully incorporated.
- Add vanilla bean and stir again.
- Spoon icing onto fully cooled donuts and top with shredded coconut flakes if desired.
- Transfer to refrigerator for 10 minutes to set.