A creamy potato pumpkin soup you can make in your blender!
Last summer I went to the county fair. And while pretty much everyone else was stuffing their face with some disgusting/amazing fried concoction, I was at the Vitamix tent tasting smoothie, juice and soup samples contemplating finally forking over the dinero to get one of these so called “life-changing” blenders. The poor Vitamix employees had to deal with my questions and pathetic attempts at negotiating for a good 45 minutes before I finally caved.
They earned that commission.
Compared to the POS Cuisinart I had before this thing, the Vitamix is obviously leaps and bounds better, but it’s not the fact that I don’t have to shake it violently anymore to get ice chopped up or smoothie ingredients to actually mix together that impresses me most, it’s the fact that I can make freakin’ soup in.my.blender. Like throw an onion in without cooking and it becomes soup! That totally blew my mind when I saw them demo that at the tent and last winter I pretty much made soup 3-4 times a week without ever breaking out a pot or better yet, an immersion blender (I just hate that thing).
So a bunch of us decided to get together and host a giveaway for one of these bad boys because I want you to be able to make delicious soup all winter and not have to wash a damn pot! Details are below the recipe.
- 1 russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup almond milk (or any kind of milk/cream)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Saute the potato, onion, garlic, ginger and tomato paste in the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the onions and potatoes are softened. (You don't have to do this step and can throw all the ingredients directly into the blender but I think this gives it more flavor).
- Transfer the mixture to the blender once sauteed.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and place the lid on.
- Turn to variable speed 1, increase to 10 quickly and then switch to High and blend for about 5 minutes until you see steam coming out the top of the blender.
- Once hot, pour into bowls, adjust seasoning to taste and garnish with cilantro.
-Use the widget below the picture to enter.
-Giveaway runs Nov. 19 – Nov. 26 at 11:59pm.
-Open to US residents only.
-Must be 18 to enter.
Make sure to stop by and say hello to all the other awesome bloggers sponsoring this giveaway too:
Nutmeg Nanny | Healthy Delicious | Bake or Break | Tracey’s Culinary Adventures | The NY Melrose Family | Rachel Cooks | Around my Family Table | Girls Versus Dough | Bakeaholic Mama |Chocolate, Chocolate and More | Knead to Cook | Pineapple and Coconut | Cupcakes and Kale Chips