And the carnitas love lives on….
Guess what I found out?
My beloved carnitas recipe that I’ve made at least 10 times has a whole bunch of sugary corn syrup in those cans of Goya nectar. That’s some bs, isn’t it? I see the word “nectar” and I just assume fruit. Why would you need to add freakin’ corn syrup to fruit, Goya? Have you never eaten a pineapple on it’s own to realize it’s already sweet?! I’m literally restraining my fingers from typing a nice long rant against Monsanto and our government right now. It’s Friday, that kind of thing seems better suited for Mondays.
So I threw Goya out and got to work on my own rendition sans the life blood of America corn syrup.
And guess what?
I like it even better.
I added fresh orange zest and more spices to the dry rub, fresh orange and lime juice and some chili peppers for spice.
Good ‘ol chuck did it’s thing for 3 hours in the oven and came out just as tender with the perfect amount of reduced fruit juice to toss the caramelized pulled beef back into.
I got the same awesome sweetness to each bite but this time with a good bit of spice and heat and without the government subsidized crap.
Oops, I mean corn syrup.
- 3-4lb. chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (I use a hot version)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 3 oranges
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 small green chili peppers, minced
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine spices and orange zest in a small bowl and mix together.
- Rub spice mixture on both sides of the roast.
- Heat a large dutch oven to high heat with the olive oil.
- Once hot, add the roast and brown (about 3 minutes). Flip and brown on the other side.
- Once all sides are browned, add the orange and lime juice and the chili peppers.
- Cover with lid and transfer to the oven for 3 hours.
- Remove from oven and pull beef apart with 2 forks.
- Transfer the pulled beef back into the dutch oven to absorb all the remaining juices.
- Serve garnished with cilantro and lime wedges.