These simple, no bake, 3 ingredient coconut almond butter dessert bites are a delicious guilt-free treat.
Yesterday, I spent 5 hours in my pajamas, on the couch, researching groupon deals to warm, sunshine filled faraway lands as I looked out onto my half snow covered/half sopping wet backyard on a disgusting grey, cold, foggy day. I contemplated Atlantis, Vegas, Cancun, Jamaica and Dominican Republic for hours before finally honing in on DR as the best deal. Then I read every single sentence on the groupon page because I’ve never actually purchased a groupon before, have no idea how the whole thing really works and was convinced I was going to click “buy” and instantly become part of some internet scam people would laugh at me for falling for. Since I still wasn’t positive about the whole thing I started googling “groupon + scam” “groupon + vacation” and any other term I could think of to ease the paranoia. 45 minutes of that and then I was on to researching flights. A vacation deal is great, but what if the airfare is like $2000? Almost an hour later on Jetblue’s site, I had a page worth of flight dates and prices written down. Back to the groupon site, re-read the entire FAQ section, double check the resort on tripadvisor, triple check the resort on it’s own website and then head back to groupon. There I am hovering over the “buy” button for about 30 minutes switching back and forth from twitter to groupon, facebook to groupon, google reader to groupon when…
I get up off the couch and make these instead.
Coconut and almond butter dipped in cocoa powder and coconut oil…way less of a commitment than a vacation, almost as good a fix for a dark, dreary, cold day.
- ¼ cup coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (creamy is best)
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- pinch of salt (*optional, I didn’t add this because my almond butter was salted)
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- Combine coconut & almond butter in a small bowl and microwave until melted.
- Stir with a spoon until smooth.
- Add almond extract and salt if using and stir again.
- Freeze for about 10 minutes or until mostly hardened.
- Remove from freezer and roll into balls (this is slightly messy)
- Return to freezer for about 5 minutes.
- If dipping in chocolate, melt coconut oil in a small bowl and then stir in cocoa powder until fully incorporated. Dip each ball in chocolate mixture and set down until chocolate sets. Re-dip for a thicker coating if desired and let set again.
- Keep refrigerated.