These cheddar cheese grits are topped with a chicken sausage baby greens sauté, oven burst vine ripe tomatoes and a perfectly poached runny egg.
When I used to run road races, the 3am wake up call would come, my phone would start playing some obnoxious combination of sounds which I’d blindly swat at in a half-awake stupor and as I’d hobble my way into the bathroom to get dressed for the event, I’d swear silently that I’d never do another race again.
This post is sponsored by Jones Dairy Farm.
Why pay someone to run and torture myself with 3am wake ups when I could easily head to the bike trail and run to my hearts content for free at a normal time of day?
But then the high of finishing the race would set in, I’d forget about the miserable wake up time, end up signing up for another one a few months out and the cycle would start all over again.
I’m not running races these too often these days but the past two weekends involved a CrossFit competition, a Warrior Dash and an impromptu early morning workout at a gym 45 minutes away taking away 3 weekend mornings worth of sleeping in, big breakfasts and relaxing mugs of coffee on the couch.
I love being active and working out but if we’re being honest, I love my breakfasts and coffee more.
Especially the coffee part.
Instead missing out on breakfast foods because I had to leave the house at ungodly hours of the morning these past couple of weekends, I decided to turn breakfast into dinner and get my fix of delicious breakfast foods in the form of brinner!
These cheese grits make the perfect base for a brinner bowl. They’re made with pepper jack cheese for a kick of spice then topped with a chicken sausage baby greens sauté, oven burst tomatoes and a runny poached egg for good measure.
It would’ve been the perfect savory weekend breakfast, but it works just as well for a quick and easy brinner too. Only thing missing was the
cup cups of coffee alongside, but at 8pm, that didn’t seem wise.
Love this Chicken Sausage Cheese Grits with Burst Tomatoes recipe?
- 3 tomatoes, on vine
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm chicken breakfast sausage links, chopped
- handful baby greens
- ½ cup quick cooking grits
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 egg, poached
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place tomatoes on a baking sheet greased with cooking spray and bake 12-15 minutes until wrinkled and burst.
- While tomatoes are in the oven, heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add sausage and cook until browned on all sides, about 3-5 minutes. Add the baby greens in the last minute of cooking time and toss until wilted. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Add water to a small sauce pot and bring to a boil. Salt the water generously, add the the grits and reduce heat to low. Stir constantly until grits have thickened. Add the cheese and stir until incorporated.
- Spoon the grits into a serving bowl. Top with the sausage and greens, roasted tomatoes and poached egg. Season with salt and pepper.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 780 Total Fat: 49g Saturated Fat: 18g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 28g Cholesterol: 340mg Sodium: 1170mg Carbohydrates: 35g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 11g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 51g