Homemade breakfast hot pockets

These homemade breakfast hot pockets are perfect for a healthy breakfast on the go and way better for you than the store bought variety.
Homemade breakfast hot pockets

Things we never had in our freezer/refrigerator/pantry growing up:

poptarts, bagel bites, dunakroos, that cool cheese dip with the red spatula thing and hot pockets.

Things all our friends had:

see above list.

Obviously, I’m grateful for my mom’s discretion now, but back in middle and high school it was just another thing to add to the list of how uncool my parents were.

I actually have no need for on-the-go breakfasts most of the time. I work from home and Ulysses doesn’t leave the house until 9:30 in the morning so breakfast is actually the one meal I don’t feel rushed to consume. It just seemed like a fun idea to recreate the breakfast microwave phenomenon that most kids (unfortunately) enjoy and to pack it filled with ingredients that I can actually feel good about eating now that I know better than to trust something that can be ready in 2 minutes in the microwave from the frozen food aisle. Especially foods that come with annoying jingles.

Breakfast hot pockets

The great thing about these are their versatility. I stuffed them with eggs, chicken sausage, peppers and onions but the possibilities are endless. Cheese is an obvious possible addition but cleaning the cheese grater is among my top 10 most hated kitchen chores and so it’s deliciousness was sacrificed for the greater good.

If you’ve got a busy schedule I can’t imagine how spending 30 minutes on a weekend to prep these for the rest of the week wouldn’t be worth your time.

Homemade breakfast hot pockets

Hot pockets! *DING*

(don’t tell me you haven’t been singing that since seeing the title)

Homemade Breakfast Hot Pockets

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 8
Ingredients
  • store bought whole wheat pizza dough (mine was 20oz.) or make your own
  • 3 eggs
  • ¼ cup liquid egg whites
  • 2 chicken sausage links, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, finely chopped
  • ¼ red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and grease a baking sheet.
  2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat saute peppers, onion and sausage with olive oil for about 5 minutes until peppers are softened and sausage is heated through.
  3. Add eggs and egg whites and mix with spatula to scramble eggs within the pepper, sausage mixture. Once eggs are cooked (about 1-2 minutes) remove from heat and set aside.
  4. Divide dough on floured surface into 2 pieces. Then cut each piece into 4 equal pieces. Roll each of the eight pieces out into a somewhat rectangular shape.
  5. Fill each piece with about ¼ cup of the egg/sausage/pepper mixture and fold dough over, sealing closed by pressing together with you finger tips.
  6. Place each pocket on the baking sheet.
  7. Spray pockets with more baking spray before baking.
  8. Bake for 10-12 minutes until dough starts to turn golden brown and is fully cooked.
  9. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
  10. Wrap each pocket in aluminum foil and freeze.
  11. Reheat in microwave or toaster oven when ready to eat.

Comments

So brilliant! Great idea for breakfast! If I get up early enough, this can be to-go orrrr make this the night before, wrap it in foil, and use the toaster at work to get it warmed up! My parents were uncool too, we never had cool snacks so we had to trade with the kids at school who were dumb enough to trade us their dunkaroos for carrot sticks (haha i knew how to take advantage..i’m such a horrible person).

I never had the “luxury” of having those foods as a kid either! However, I’m (now) grateful for it because honestly, that food is so bad for kids! This sounds like a pocket (har har) of win though ;)

Hahaha I know – I remember going to my friend’s houses and being SO excited to eat dunkaroos and Ellio’s pizza because we didn’t have those things.

These look awesome and I agree – weekend prep for weekday meals = totally worth it!

justin says

I love making homemade breakfast for my family every weekend.Ill try these homemade Breakfast Hot Pockets for them.

I had to giggle at your post – we had all sorts of frozen foods when I was a kid too – mostly the blueberry ego waffles, and toaster struddles. Pop tarts were a big one too and there were always a few varieties of hot pockets or lean pockets hanging around the freezer. Great approach to homemade hot pockets! I did always enjoy them but have not bought them in a long while, so your idea is definitely a nice change up. The egg filling looks healthy and delicious!

Yep! I’ve found a quick zap in the microwave and then toasting in the toaster oven is the best so they’re more crisp than soggy.

Totally with you!! We didn’t have many of these things growing up either — and when I have had the pre-packaged frozen stuff, it’s never quite lived up to the hype. Homemade is always best afterall, right? I LOVE the “real” version of hot pockets you created, looks awesome!!

I have never even heard of hot pockets until I moved to the United States. LOL! These are great, thanks for showing us how easily these can be made and what different ingredients can be stuffed in their pockets. The stuffing might take a while, but to me that’s part of the fun! Also, I agree with you on the microwavable pockets sold in the frozen section, I feel so bad that school cafeterias serve these mysterious hot pockets and kids devour them like they’re the best things in the world.

Megan says

This looks delicious! Have you seen Jim Gaffigan’s spoof on hot pockets? If not, PLEASE youtube it like right now because it is the most hilarious thing ever…I’m not exaggerating. Ever.

haha, yes, thank you for mentioning it. Apparently, I’m like the only one who hadn’t seen it since so many people told me to watch it today after this post. I see why now…so funny!

Those breakfast pockets look great. We had Poptarts growing up. I can barely look a at a Poptart now. Just ran across your site… love it!

Holy mother of all things delicious and amazing! I’ve got to add a lot of things to my “when I live alone I’m SO going to make this” list, and this is officially on that list :)

Have you tried the artesian bread 5 minutes a day dough recipe? I bet that would be awesome for these!

This reminds me less of the hot pockets jingle and more of the Jim Gaffigan standup routine. Please tell me you’ve seen it.

no, but now I need to look that recipe up!
      I hadn’t seen that stand up routine until you and everyone else told me today…hysterical!

I was equally uncool growing up thanks to my parent’s lack of willingness to provide such tasty toaster treats to me. Jerks. Nah, I think by now I got over it. And if I hadn’t yet, that’d be a whole ‘nother story. o.O These looks delicious and completely ingenious, Gina. For realsies. :)

So you, along with like 3 other commenters told me this and then someone tweeted me the same thing! So I finally watched it…hysterical!

I’m so jealous you get to work from home…it’s my dream! I’m a huge fan of PJ’s :) These look amazing…breakfast is the one meal a day I look forward to most of all :)

Breakfast hot pockets? I’m in. I much prefer a savory breakfast to a sweet one but I’m always pressed for time. This is perfect, Gina!

Katie says

My Mom use to say to me, one day you’ll be thankful that your lips have never touched a frozen chicken patty. No fun cereals, no Kool-Aid, not even fast food. I’ve never had Taco Bell in my life. Our Mom’s were onto something, we just couldn’t appreciate it at the time!

Haha, I remember a similar conversation around whole wheat bread when everyone else had Wonder Bread on their pb&j sandwiches…

I stock up when I go to Trader Joe’s but my local grocery store actually sells it to which is what I used for these.

I was laughing so hard when you mentioned the hot pockets song! As soon as I read the title I was thinking of that comedian Jim Gaffigan, who does the hot pockets skit and the way he says Hoooot Pockets cracks me up everytime! Lol
    These are genius by the way…what a great idea!

oh my gosh, I seriously think I’m the only one who hadn’t seen that skit! You’re like the 10th person to mention that today!

somewhere between 1-2 mins if you’re microwaving completely. I like 20-30 secs in the microwave and then a couple minutes in the toaster oven so it stays crispier :)

I am the baby of 8, so my mom was “over” cooking by the time I was in high school I had McDonald’s every day almost! Thank goodness I had a fast metabolism. Now, I am the healthy mom and my daughter hates it. She says we never have food. It’s because I don’t keep junk in the house.

That looks awesome! My parents were uncool too, what between the no-snack rule and all this Russian food that I detested as a child…..I so get it now.

I love this idea so much! I’ve had something similar on my to-try list for a while now. I never had any of the cool junk food growing up either(which I’m thankful for now, but that really sucked then! haha) Now I looooove the idea of recreating much healthier “junk” foods. And these look awesome!

Oh My Gosh! Breakfast Hotpockets (the super bad for you store-bought kind) are my weakness! This is genious :)

I also enjoy making mini breakfast quiches in muffin tins for the week.

Catt says

Kudos to you! I’m also a fan of the slighty weird hobby of recreating fast-food horrors as home-made. I always hated Crispy Pancakes (I don’t know if you have them in the USA, but imagine a sort of rubbery bag covered in orange fake breadcrumbs with an unidentifable filling – euch) but home-made ones are tasty.

I have been making these for a while, in a way – I have never had a Hot Pocket as they don’t exist in the UK, but a while ago I started making Cornish pasties with bread dough instead of pastry, as it means less fat – they also reheat in the microwave without being horrible, which pastry doesn’t. You just have to sit them on a cloth or paper towel to stop the bottom going soggy.