These homemade breakfast hot pockets are perfect for a healthy breakfast on the go and way better for you than the store bought variety.
Things we never had in our freezer/refrigerator/pantry growing up:
poptarts, bagel bites, dunakroos, that cool cheese dip with the red spatula thing and hot pockets.
Things all our friends had:
see above list.
Obviously, I’m grateful for my mom’s discretion now, but back in middle and high school it was just another thing to add to the list of how uncool my parents were.
I actually have no need for on-the-go breakfasts most of the time. I work from home and Ulysses doesn’t leave the house until 9:30 in the morning so breakfast is actually the one meal I don’t feel rushed to consume. It just seemed like a fun idea to recreate the breakfast microwave phenomenon that most kids (unfortunately) enjoy and to pack it filled with ingredients that I can actually feel good about eating now that I know better than to trust something that can be ready in 2 minutes in the microwave from the frozen food aisle. Especially foods that come with annoying jingles.
The great thing about these are their versatility. I stuffed them with eggs, chicken sausage, peppers and onions but the possibilities are endless. Cheese is an obvious possible addition but cleaning the cheese grater is among my top 10 most hated kitchen chores and so it’s deliciousness was sacrificed for the greater good.
If you’ve got a busy schedule I can’t imagine how spending 30 minutes on a weekend to prep these for the rest of the week wouldn’t be worth your time.
Hot pockets! *DING*
(don’t tell me you haven’t been singing that since seeing the title)
- store bought whole wheat pizza dough (mine was 20oz.) or make your own
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup liquid egg whites
- 2 chicken sausage links, chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and grease a baking sheet.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat saute peppers, onion and sausage with olive oil for about 5 minutes until peppers are softened and sausage is heated through.
- Add eggs and egg whites and mix with spatula to scramble eggs within the pepper, sausage mixture. Once eggs are cooked (about 1-2 minutes) remove from heat and set aside.
- Divide dough on floured surface into 2 pieces. Then cut each piece into 4 equal pieces. Roll each of the eight pieces out into a somewhat rectangular shape.
- Fill each piece with about ¼ cup of the egg/sausage/pepper mixture and fold dough over, sealing closed by pressing together with you finger tips.
- Place each pocket on the baking sheet.
- Spray pockets with more baking spray before baking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until dough starts to turn golden brown and is fully cooked.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Wrap each pocket in aluminum foil and freeze.
- Reheat in microwave or toaster oven when ready to eat.