These bison burgers are filled with pomegranates and feta cheese and topped with caramelized onions and a quick pomegranate sauce. They make the perfect winter burger.
I spent almost 5 hours at a spa yesterday getting a facial, massage, manicure and pedicure.
It’s one of those things that you think about all the time, say you’re going to do, but then month after month goes by and you just never actually pull the trigger (probably because of the cost of said trigger) and book it.
But all it took this time around was Brandy asking me if I wanted to join her and I was in.
So we walked in, got all nekked, wrapped ourselves up in robes and sat in the “relaxation room” waiting for our “facial therapists” to come get us.
About 20 seconds later, an older couple walks in. Him: metrosexual 60 something business man. Her: garish with a piercingly annoying voice.
And that’s about where the “relaxation” in relaxation room went flying out the window.
In between each service, we’d come back to the relaxation room to await our next therapist and at one point Mr. Metrosexual was actually ON HIS PHONE having a pointless conversation with some man named Steve on the other end.
I’m pretty sure even if there wasn’t a huge “please refrain from using your cell phone” sign on the door most would consider that common sense at a spa but apparently Mr. Metrosexual was lacking in that department.
I tried my best to forget about him during the 60 minutes of my Swedish massage (aka: grease-fest. Holy oil rub down) but instead of relaxing like one is supposed to at a spa, I thought about food.
When your appointment spans the timeframe from 12pm-4:30pm, lunch is pretty much impossible and I don’t do too well skipping meals.
So visions of burgers floated through my head instead of peaceful nothingness.
And with each grumble of my stomach, I remembered how good every single bite of these bison burgers with fresh pomegranates and feta were.
Love This Recipe For Pomegranate Feta Bison Burgers?
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- pomegranate arils from 1 pomegranate
- splash worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 buns
- Add the butter to a large skillet over medium-low heat. Once melted, add the onion slices and cook, stirring only a few times for about 30 minutes until deep golden brown and caramelized.
- While the onions cook, combine the bison, garlic, feta, 1/2 cup of the pomegranate arils, worcestershire, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix together well and form into 4 patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the patties in the skillet and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, depending on preference. Transfer the hamburgers to a dish and loosely cover.
- Add the pomegranate juice to the same skillet.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl then pour into the skillet, whisking as you do so.
- Cook the juice down until reduced by about half and thickened. Add the remaining pomegranate arils to the skillet and stir. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Assemble the burgers by placing the watercress on the bottom bun, then the burger, then the caramelized onions, pomegranate sauce, extra feta cheese, more watercress and then the top bun.