These pan fried zesty quinoa cakes are made with lemon and capers. They’re a great healthy side dish or even party appetizer.
Let’s ignore the fact that these little crispy cakes are pan fried and focus on the fact that they’re made with a SUPERFOOD!
I mean that totally negates the pan frying, right?
If you’ve ever had chicken piccata and loved it in all it’s salty, lemony glory, you will love these.
I get excited about these little balls. But this is coming from someone who could eat a whole jar of Spanish olives by herself. It’s weird because I don’t crave salty things that often.
Potato chips? Ehh. Give me cake.
But capers are like a salty, earthy bite in all the best ways possible. I love how tiny they are compared to their flavor profile.
Good things come in small packages. (twss)
For all the salt the capers bring, the lemon zest and juice balances it out nicely so you’re left with the best of both worlds.
Topped with a dollop of a sour cream, lemon juice and avocado dip, they’re perfect. A perfect side to a bigger dinner, a perfect topping to a lunch time salad or, a perfect snack straight out of the toaster oven the next day.
This is a fried dish I can get behind.
Zesty Quinoa Cakes
These pan fried zesty quinoa cakes are made with lemon and capers. They're a great healthy side dish or even party appetizer.
- 1 1/3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon capers
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- Combine all ingredients except olive oil in a large bowl and mix until fully combined.
- Heat a large skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- In quarter cup scoops, form the quinoa mixture into patties.
- Place patties in skillet and pan fry 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown, adding additional olive oil as needed.
- Serve with additional lemon or a dip made with sour cream, lemon juice and avocado if desired.