These sweet potato kale bites are like mini muffins of sweet potato, kale and black beans. They’re a great make ahead side dish to have on hand.
Currently, my fridge is like that closet you never use in your house and shove every random item that needs to be stored in and then fear for your life when opening it not knowing what random thing is going to fall on your head. Except, it’s my fridge and I open it approximately 136 times a day not twice a year.
There were no less than 3 fallen tupperware containers yesterday alone. Prepping large amounts of food ahead of time is kind of a blessing and a curse like that. I love having healthy stuff on hand but not so much the container of black bean quinoa hitting my foot and bouncing across the kitchen floor.
These are the newest added danger to the fridge assortment. Sweet potato “bites” stuffed with kale and black beans.
I have two categories of bookmarked stuff. Stuff that is a great idea, file it for later or when I’m in the mood for it (that list is incredibly long) and stuff that absolutely must be made now. These fell into the latter category after seeing Ashley’s salt & vinegar potatoes. While I love the salt & vinegar combo, I didn’t think it would work as well with sweet potatoes and that’s all I had on hand. So, I switched it up a bit because I knew they would be a great healthy starch to have for the entire week and leave one less thing to decide upon when putting a quick midday meal together. I’ve definitely noticed my creativity with meals decreasing now that I’m eating 5-6 a day. I just don’t have the energy or time to think of fun new ideas each and every time. Cooking and baking in bulk has become my saving grace.
These have literally been on my plate 5 out of the last 8 meals.
Perfectly sized, sweet with a crunchy top and stuffed with greens. Doesn’t get much better than that for a quick and easy side dish.
Sweet Potato Kale Bites
These sweet potato kale bites are like mini muffins of sweet potato, kale and black beans. They're a great make ahead side dish to have on hand.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained & rinsed
- salt & pepper
- ground flax seed for topping
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil cubed potatoes for about 15 minutes until fork tender.
- Drain potatoes and mash them in a large bowl with milk.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil, garlic, onion and red pepper and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add kale and saute until wilted.
- Once kale is wilted, add to the bowl with sweet potatoes.
- Season liberally with salt & pepper to taste.
- Fold in black beans until incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Grease a mini muffin pan.
- Scoop potato mixture into a mini muffin tray until filled to the top.
- Sprinkle tops with ground flax seed.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, turn oven to hi-broil and broil for an additional 5 minutes until tops are golden and crunchy.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove from muffin tin with the help of a spoon or knife. Bites will be soft but should retain enough structure to stay in mini muffin form.
Inspired and adapted from Edible Perspective