This spicy sausage mac and cheese is a super cheesy and creamy healthy mac ‘n cheese with chicken sausage and whole wheat pasta.
You know how as a kid you’d be on your very best behavior when you wanted something?
-You’re 9 or 10 and want Sega so flippin’ badly because Nintendo is sooooo last year and a hedgehog with funky hair is way cooler than a fat plumber with ugly suspenders? Set the table for dinner every night, bring the dishes to the counter and walk the dog before being told.
-You’re 12 or 13 and want to hang out at the mall on a Friday night giving the bored out of their mind mall security guards something to actually do while you and your girlfriends act ridiculous doing loops around the place stalking boys and giggling? Take the trash out before you had to be asked.
-You’re 16, get invited to senior prom and reeeeeally want to go to the jersey shore with everyone afterwards for the weekend. End the year with straight A’s, beg, plead, list all your accomplishments ever in life and reinforce how responsible you’ve been up to this point. Except that time it doesn’t work…(still bitter about it).
Yeah, well marriage is kind of no different.
Mac ‘n cheese is probably (outside of legit Greek food) Ulysses’ favorite dish.
Guess who wants something?
Spicy, cheesy, meaty, creamy (and still chock full of veggies) mac ‘n cheese seemed like the best way to make it happen.
If my manipulation plan works, I’ll be able to show you after this long weekend.
Hopefully we don’t have a prom outcome on our hands.
This spicy sausage mac and cheese is a super cheesy and creamy healthy mac 'n cheese with chicken sausage and whole wheat pasta.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat orecchiette pasta (or any small shaped pasta)
- 12 oz. spicy chicken sausage
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups milk (I used 1%)
- 1 1/2 cups sharp white cheddar, grated
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- salt & pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt, add pasta and cook until al dente. If using orecchiette, about 8-9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium high heat, break sausage up into pieces and cook until browned (you may want to add a bit of olive oil while sauteing depending on the fat content of the sausage).
- Add peppers, scallions and zucchini and saute for another 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add spices and flour and toss together until flour is fully incorporated.
- Add milk and cheese next and stir all together until cheese is melted.
- At this point the pasta should be done cooking. Drain well reserving about a cup of the cooking water in a separate bowl* and add pasta to the pan.
- Toss to coat pasta in cheesy mixture completely.
- Add grape tomatoes and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
*Keep pasta cooking liquid for reheating. Mac 'n cheese has a tendency to dry up once refrigerated and reheated. Use some of the pasta water to help loosen it up a bit again when reheating or if not serving immediately.