Remember that fun thing we used to do on Wednesdays over here before PW came into our lives? It involved a whole bunch of pictures of what I ate throughout the day and a link up with hundreds of other peeps doing the same. Ring a bell?
Well, it’s back for today! We’re on a one week hiatus until a few of us tackle another round of PW recipes so I thought I’d join the party again over at Jenn’s.
Picmonkey got collages and I’m in love. Feast your eyes not only on all the food that I ate yesterday but also a totally customizable collage! Seriously, if you need the ability to make a collage, this is the best one I’ve used. It lets you drag the boxes to whatever size you want and rotate the orientation of the whole collage itself. Geek out session over.
- egg + egg white + bacon waffle sandwich with berries
- leftover salmon + roasted strawberry couscous + simple spinach salad
- roasted nectarine yogurt parfait…more below on that!
- the last triple chocolate protein bar + fitmixer aminos
- a spicy lentil + veggie red curry dish that you’ll be hearing about later this week + broccoli + rice
Not a bad day of food now that it’s all out in front of me.
Jenn’s theme for the month of June is sensible snacking. So in light of that, I threw together a quick parfait by roasting a nectarine and making my own chia + oat granola at the same time.
Since strawberries worked so well, I figured nectarines wouldn’t be a bad choice either for the whole roasting thing. I’m kind of tempted to see if there isn’t any fruit made better by roasting because these were awesome. Bananas might be weird though…
I combined the roasted nectarines with some Chobani & chia oat granola and had a custom, healthy parfait in 10 minutes. A little more special and tasty than just layering the usual stuff but without a huge time commitment. Win, win.
I loved the added chia seeds in the granola for an extra health boost but couldn’t stop thinking they were small bugs every time I lifted the spoon to my mouth. I think the ant incident scarred me. When they’re not tormenting me in my pants, I now think they’re in my food.
- 1 nectarine, chopped
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- unsweetened coconut flakes, for topping
- sliced almonds, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine oats, chia seeds, coconut oil, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl. Toss to combine.
- Lay chopped nectarine on one side of baking sheet and oat/chia mixture on the other.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently being careful not to burn the oats.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a minute.
- Layer 1-2 tablespoons of yogurt in the bottom of a bowl or cup, top with a spoonful of granola, then nectarine, sprinkling coconut flakes and almond slices in between.
- Continue layering until ingredients are used up.