This roasted beets and barley with squash and goat cheese is a light, healthy lunch or side. It’s a hearty and filling vegetarian dish.
Have you seen enough cookies this week? Because I’m about to turn into one. I’ve got about 50 bookmarked (and that was tough keeping it limited to that many) and have grabbed nothing but sweets between the *witching* hours of 2-4pm for the entire past week. ‘Tis the season.
It’s time for some vegetables.
Good news though! These veggies come roasted with tons of flavor and have goat cheese melting all over them. That’s not so bad, right?
Cheese is almost as good as sugar and butter.
So put the flour down and detox with me for the day. Today we do vegetables, (and all the Christmas shopping that I’ve been so awesomely putting off) I can’t promise anything about tomorrow…
- 3 beets, peeled and chopped
- 1 acorn squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup barley
- 2 cups water
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- salt & pepper
- Bring barley and water to a boil in a small sauce pan, then reduce to a simmer for about 40 minutes, or until all the water is fully absorbed.
- While barley is cooking, spread chopped vegetables on a lined & greased baking sheet. Toss with olive oil and season generously with salt & pepper.
- Roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Combine barley and goat cheese in a large bowl. Fold in roasted vegetables, season again to taste and serve warm.