Health(ier) chocolate chunk molasses gingerbread cookies
Author: Gina Matsoukas
Recipe type: cookies, dessert
Serves: 1 dozen
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ cup spelt flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate (72% or higher), chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients (almond flour, spelt flour, baking soda and spices).
- In a small bowl whisk together remaining wet ingredients until completely smooth.
- Add wet to dry ingredients and mix together until fully incorporated.
- Add chocolate chunks and fold into batter.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, roll about 1 tablespoon of batter into a ball.
- If coating with sugar mixture, combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and roll ball until covered.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and press down on the top of them with a spoon for that signature molasses cookie wrinkle effect.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
Recipe by Running to the Kitchen at http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/healthier-chocolate-chunk-molasses-gingerbread-cookies/